walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Addicted to Recovery (92), Devilla Forest Winter Workout.

Addicted to Recovery (92), Devilla Forest Winter Workout.

Postby UrbanExplorer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Date walked: 17/01/2018

Time taken: 2.05 hours

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 87m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sorry I'm a little late with this, it's taken me a few days to get enough time in front of a computer.

So I took Tuesday as a rest day after two good walking days on Sunday & Monday, but as I was driving home from my partners home in Kirkcaldy on Wednesday morning I had that itchy feet problem, this is something I know too well from my long period of addiction. I needed to get out...

There was not really enough time to plan anything ( i was starting work at 6pm), so i decided to give myself a little workout by exploring Devilla Forest in the snow, high knee lifts would be a good training session for my walking seasons plans.

Devilla forest situated about 2 miles East of Kincardine is a little gem hidden away on the North side of the River Forth. The name Devilla is said to come from the Gaelic "dubh" and "eilean" meaning "black island". The forest has a long history of occupation and use. Prehistoric coffins, stone circles and Roman urns have been found in different parts of the forest. It is now under the control of the Forestry Commission and they've recently redeveloped the parking area to make it more accessible to the general public, Id been here many years before in one my addiction filled wanders... It was time to explore it beauty clean & sober.

As you near Kincardine on the A985 from Rosyth you will happen upon a long straight stretch of road, the car park is about half way down on the right hand side, plenty of parking available for all.

The snow lay about 6 inches deep in the car park, it was quite quiet with 5 or 6 cars, a mixed collection of walkers, dog walkers & MTB enthusiasts. I quickly parked up, there wasn't even any need to gear up, I was just going to head out in my old tattered n broken Karrimor Hot Rocks, bought about a year ago from Sports Direct, they were just another example of another good brand made poor after being sold to Mr Ashley, I was determined to get my moneys worth though, before they were consigned to the bin.

Grrrrr...... Please wait while I sort out Flickr n its SH|T ( ok, they are now uploaded, but not in the order taken *sigh* )

First look up the Forestry road.
Image20180117_094205 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

As I said, there are a lot of Forestry hardcore roads around, after the day on Meikle Bin I'd had I wanted off them, so if you follow this road for about 1/4 km you'll find a turning to the left, at last sorta fresh snow.
Image20180117_094544 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

OK, you can see previous tracks, but at least there was a fresh snow covering and I could hear a crunch under my already wet n soggy feet. There has been a bit of woodland clearage here but the views can still be quite stunning.
Image20180117_095036 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

So on I wander. basking in the glorious morning sun of a Scottish January, but soon enough Im looking to get into the wild of the forest, Im looking for something less than a road, about 1/2 km from the turning I found tell tale signs of something more interesting, I turn to my right.
Image20180117_095200 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

At last a bit of try woodland winter walking :wink: I can smell the forest around me, the wild life scurrying as a boldly step into the unknown. I'd been this way before and I knew there was atleast a bit of water around quite close, before I knew it, it was upon me.
Image20180117_095329 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

YES.... I hear you say, where is the water, but if you follow the forest opening infront of you it soon becomes aware.
Image20180117_095426 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Welcome to Keir Dam, a little over grown and frozen... but a beautiful sight to me on this crisp morning.

My feet are wet already.... it doesn't mean I don't feel the icy water on my right foot as a step through the water.... I'd spent the last 30 years in a bottle hiding from emotions & feelings... it was refreshing to feel the cold on my skin. Across the burn and round the corner suddenly I found some MTB tracks... I was not alone.
Image20180117_095750 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

With nothing else to follow and a sort of chilled mindfulness in my head, I stepped onwards, the tracks turned left and I just decided to follow.
Image20180117_100010 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Seconds after this shot I bumped into a young lady... aged 93 walking her dog, we stopped, we blethered, she informed me that (good lord son, you have the right idea) walking 5 miles every morning is the thing to do. I had been worrying about my 50th coming, **** that. I stepped on happily. A few hundred meters up the track I found the Forestry road again, I turned left and carried on.

What is it about Forestry workers and their need to leave a solitary tree in a field of destruction...
Image20180117_100420 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I followed the round along, it then eventually curves to the right leading into a form of cross roads.
Image20180117_101205 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr
Image20180117_101223 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I follow towards Kincardine, hoping for more "off the beaten track" The road wiggles for a bit, I walk for about 1/2 km when I see a turning to the left with no sign... yeah, that looks good, I walk on for about 1/4 km when suddenly I find a building WTF.
Image20180117_101814 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

It seems it's some sort of olden age farm house, boarded up and locked, but it does look as if it might have had a barn at one end.
Image20180117_101854 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

The icicles are quite stunning in the sun. I carry onward passing it on my right and end up by the side of a field forest to my right.
Image20180117_102024 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

200 or 300m along...
Image20180117_102710 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Where do I go now? do I just wander on aimlessly. YES. The track I'm on suddenly comes to a T junction... left looks good, I carry on. It curves to right I follow on, until I see something I need to investigate.
Image20180117_102910 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

OK, this looks good. My father used to curl on the Lake of Mentieth. What's this Moor Loch. I soon found out.
Image20180117_103223 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Unexpectedly I see through the rhododendrons the partially frozen Moor Loch, the sunlight bouncing around, impressively, I carry on hoping to find this Danish camp, no luck, I only see another view of the Loch.
Image20180117_103723 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I then again wander off into the woods, ...the rhododendrons than take over again, quite glorious, I need to come back here in the summer. I have to duck down to traverse through the tunnel above me.
Image20180117_103431 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Another view of the Loch
Image20180117_103723 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I doubted I was on a track until I found a small man-made bridge.
Image20180117_103907 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

And then followed the path through the trees.
Image20180117_104005 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

One last view of the Loch.
Image20180117_104323 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I then again disappear into the woodland, a quick forest clearing for the power lines shows me a glimpse of the snow covered Ochils.
Image20180117_105028 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

A rise starts to grow on my right as the path carries on Windyhill Farm appears on my left. I am assuming it is windy, it's got a turbine.
Image20180117_105457 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

Old stone gateposts appear on the left...
Image20180117_105816 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

As I get my first ook at Peppermill Dam.
Image20180117_105940 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I follow the track down the side of the water, stopping briefly for a chat with a trail runner and his dog, the snow is by now about 12 inches, hard going but the view is breath taking.
Image20180117_110442 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr
Image20180117_110511 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I head past the dam for 1/2 km and turn right, stopping for a word with the 2 pensioners on mountain bikes, I carry on and after another 1/4 km turn left, I then come upon a strange collection of railway sleepers.
Image20180117_112533 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

I carry on, whats now a forestry road bears right and I eventually find the sun in front of me.
Image20180117_113020 by IainHamiltonPhotography, on Flickr

It seems like the right time to head back towards the car, I stride on... full of the joys of a sunny winter morning in Scotland.

6+ miles in the bag, wet feet, aching thighs, but I feel another day of sobriety under my belt.

Still living "Just for Today" after 92 days : ))

PS I'm now tired and weary, I haven't proof read it, so please forgive me.
UrbanExplorer

Munros:48   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   

Re: Addicted to Recovery (92), Devilla Forest Winter Workout

Postby ancancha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Isn't it great to have platforms like Flickr to host photos on 8) and of course walk highlands to psst reports :thumbup:
Nice report and photos :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Addicted to Recovery (92), Devilla Forest Winter Workout

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:17 am

Nice reminder that it doesn't all have to be about high hills. :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland