walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi

Ben Ledi

Postby gedme » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 18/10/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 879m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had not been out for a while done some low level walks with my wife Helen but not many hills. I had planned to go with couple of friends but his mother passed away obviously had stuff to sort out so would be a day on my own. I stated out back of 7 and got to car park around 8-45 had quick change and bite to eat set of around 9. Was not the best of days low cloud and mist most of the way. I like ben Ledi it can be bit of a challenge steep and continues climb makes it more of a challenge. When I started out there was no one else on the mountain was very quiet just perfect. The start is very steep an must admit was feeling it legs were sore but was worth it. There were not many views on way up due to the low cloud and mist.
IMG_1957.JPG
Tree across the footpath

IMG_1958.JPG
Not many views

As I walked it looked like the sun was trying to break through every now and again it cleared a bit then just as I got my camera out and set to take picture it had gone which made me smile and think i wonder how many walkers have missed good pictures by the time camera is out and turned on? At times when mist lifted it made the mountain look a bit spooky which I loved the cloud just rolling along no wind bit of rain but not much.
IMG_1961.JPG
Very thick at times.

The day was to take a dramatic turn and for the best and made the day out worthwhile as I reached a false summit i sat down just for a few seconds and noticed that the sun was beginning to break through and was hopeful of a clear view from the summit so I started for the top i had only walked a few hundred yard when yards and it did but not only sun and blue sky I had my first cloud inversion (temperature inversion) and it took my breath away it was stunning could not believe what I was looking at I felt so lucky to see something so awesome so beautiful. The cloud was below me and in the distance the peek of Ben Lommond was well peeking through to say hello it was fantastic.
IMG_1971.JPG
cloud inversion lommond peeking through.

IMG_1973.JPG
Cloud inversion

IMG_1972.JPG
The plane

IMG_1977.JPG
Near the summit

IMG_1973.JPG
Cloud inversion

I count myself very lucky to have seen this and it only lasted around 5 minutes before it all closed in again by the time I got to the summit it was grey and cloud had all closed in again but it made my day. I love the hills I don't get out as often as I should i have walked in all kind of weather and it never puts me up or down as you never know what awaits you this was a great day even with just five minute view. I reached the summit and decided to sit and have my lunch even though no view. I met one guy from Wales Alan (mountainstar) and had a chat told him all about the view and the inversion think Alan was lucky enough to see it as well later, we managed to walk most of the way back down to car park together
turned out Alan had a great time ahead of him bothy wise. Top bloke who told me all about this site so if you read this Alan thanks and hope one day may see you on the hills again.
IMG_1960.JPG
Good path

IMG_1968.JPG
Mist cloud

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG
Summit

IMG_1977.JPG
Blue sky never lasted.

So all in all was a good day I have a video but not sure how to put it on when I find out how to I shall. Hope you enjoy my second attempt at this.
Attachments
IMG_1975.JPG
So lucky to see this.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   Corbetts:3

Re: Ben Ledi

Postby sloosh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:11 am

You weren't kidding about the inversion. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby gedme » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 pm

sloosh wrote:You weren't kidding about the inversion. :)

Was fantastic bud first i have seen.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Postby mountainstar » Sat May 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello again.....a bit late, missed this post, thanks for your comments, we were lucky that day, just above the inversion, good to see your still out and about, keep posting and try to get to a WH meet sometime, we,ve got 2 coming up, Roy bridge & Sheil bridge, I,m going to both. :)
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby skuk007 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:06 am

Nice report gedme. Great pictures and well done with the inversion. I've yet to see one so can only imagine how magical it must be.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gedme » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:42 pm

mountainstar wrote:Hello again.....a bit late, missed this post, thanks for your comments, we were lucky that day, just above the inversion, good to see your still out and about, keep posting and try to get to a WH meet sometime, we,ve got 2 coming up, Roy bridge & Sheil bridge, I,m going to both. :)

Hi sorry just saw this thanks for reply hope we can meet up soon that be great.
gedme
Munro compleatist

Postby gedme » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:44 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report gedme. Great pictures and well done with the inversion. I've yet to see one so can only imagine how magical it must be.

Was so weird cloud just dropped for around five minutes by time i got to top it had closed in again, but was so lucky and was so cool to see. Thanks
gedme
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland