walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn William

Cairn William

Postby KatTai » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Route description: Cairn William, Pitfitchie Forest, near Alford

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn William

Date walked: 25/01/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a week off from walking last week because I was on holiday, and OH doesn't do walking, it was time to return to the hills! Cairn William was the target for today, I have walked in this area before but can't remember if I went to the summit so had to go back to tick it off :lol:

a.jpg

It is an easy walk right the way around on forestry tracks and then on a narrower trail up to the granite ridge. Not far from the start there is a stone circle.

2.jpg

There were a few cyclists out, though we didn't come across anyone at all when the tracked turned to lead up to Cairn William. Just as well, the sun was in my face most of the time and that would have made it very difficult to see anyone coming down!

b.jpg

The track zig-zagged making the ascent much easier, though there were a few awkward icy patches to tip-toe around.

8.jpg

Soon the summit was in sight and Moss did her usually trick of running up to the trig point to wait for me to catch up. We spent a bit of time at the summit playing around getting photos before following the clear track along the granite ridge.

102.jpg

The return was walking into the sun, when I last checked the forecast it was supposed to be cloudy, but nope it was lovely blue skies pretty much the whole time :lol: The track across the ridge turned onto another track which led back down to the outward trail and from there it was a case of following it back down to the car park. Another red balloon turned blue!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland