walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrieyarick Hill

Corrieyarick Hill

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Date walked: 25/05/2007

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 940m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corrieyarick Hill 31km 940m 6hr 25 May 2007

The KMC are spending the w/e at Invergarry bunkhouse, with a celebratory meal at the hotel later.
I think back on yesterday, my early arrival to a locked b/h gave the chance to clear another tick from my todo list. The Corrieyarick Pass from Fort Augustus. After the 1715 rising this old drovers trail was upgraded by General Wade in 1731. The new road took a year to build linking Ruthven Barracks with Fort William - ironically, the first army to use it were the Jacobites during the 45rebellion. Drive to gr 373072 near Fort Augustus and park at a cottage. Pass thro a gate for an easy walk by trees, two lochans, to wind uphill on the W bank of a tree lined Glen Tarff. Cross the Black burn, leave the Tarff, cross two burns for the N side of the glen and the steep upper reaches of the corrie. Here, between two tops lies the col @770m. Pylons stride the length of this walk detracting somewhat from the serenity of this place. An easier stroll N meets the Corbett of Corrieyarick hill @ 896m. Excellent views over the Loch Ness hills and the southern Cairngorms. The previous year, I had walked from Garva Bridge to here and returned over Geal charn, Gairbheinn and Meall an h-Aisre, long winters day. I return to the col, then out to Carn Leac for a look S at the four Beinn Deargs of Glen Roy with the higher Munros a backdrop beyond. Content, I return the way I came to greet an open b/h. and the makings of a good nite
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

Re: Corrieyarick Hill

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 am

I did the pass a few years ago on bike from Kingussie to Fort Augustus. The actual road over the pass is not great for cycling though. I haven't been back over the top since the new pylons went in but I think they might have restored the old road. It is a great area even though it would have been far better if they could have buried the powerlines.

I guess you don't have so many folk doing Corrieyairack hill now it is no longer a Corbett. :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Corrieyarick Hill

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I did the pass a few years ago on bike from Kingussie to Fort Augustus. The actual road over the pass is not great for cycling though. I haven't been back over the top since the new pylons went in but I think they might have restored the old road. It is a great area even though it would have been far better if they could have buried the powerlines.

I guess you don't have so many folk doing Corrieyairack hill now it is no longer a Corbett. :D

Staying at Kingussie the previous year and knowing I would be doing the walkin from garva bridge on the Sat. My climbing mate Kenny - with me to bringing up his gear - took the bus from Kilmk to fort Augustus and walked the road to our b/h on the friday.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland