walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben A'an at sunrise

Ben A'an at sunrise

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Date walked: 27/01/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 360m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Noticed the good forecast for Friday but Friday is a football day so had a look for a short walk. Ben A'an had been on my mind since I listened to a friend raving about it and it looks not bad in the various WH reports so Ben A'an it was.
Road wasn't great after Callendar so took it slow and resigned myself to not seeing the sunrise from the top.
Needn't have worried though as the path is great and it was almost totally snow free, albeit there were plenty of icy spots and still some patches of hard snow. I'd set off at 7.10am or so but didn't need the head torch for very long before the light got good enough to dispense with it.
After the steepish first third the walk levels off with impressive views of the summit cone ahead. Path got a little more rocky after the level section but this was partly because I missed the obvious crossing point on the burn there. After that, an incident free stroll to the summit with only the occasional bit of ice and snow to watch out for.
The path diverts slightly to a viewpoint northeast of the top and this gives a first fine view down Loch Katrine. Turned out too that my timing had been near perfect for the sunrise after all as the first rays hit the surrounding higher tops soon after I got to this point. Took a few snaps from where I was then hurried to the main top to take in the sunrise.
Very fine light down the length of the loch had me staying there for a good half hour to admire and photograph the unfolding early morning light and trying to name the various distant summits. Seems I could see the Cobbler, Ben Lui and Ben More from here which all came as a slight surprise. My Sony HX90 failed again to produce any decent photos when pointed anywhere near the sun though otherwise ok.
Had a couple of clambers up and down the summit rocks and this was another good wee scrambling practice to see how the back reacted. Not too bad so pleased with that.
Turned my attention back to the south where some mist had started boiling up over Loch Achray then set off back down the path.
Then I got to see what had been a bit obscure in the half light on the way up -the woodland and impressive view of the summit cone from the half way point.
All in all a very satisfying wee walk. Did take a little bit out of my running for football though I dare say nobody noticed the difference as my movement has been likened to the mannequin challenge. I play zonally though.

ImageDSC04626 by John Little, on Flickr
Taken from viewpoint north east of summit.

ImageDSC04627 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben Lui visible top right.

ImageDSC04628 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04629 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04636 by John Little, on Flickr
The Cobbler.

ImageDSC04640 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04643 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben More and Stob Binnien

ImageDSC04641 by John Little, on Flickr
Shadow of Ben A'an pointing to Ben Lui.

ImageDSC04648 by John Little, on Flickr
An opportunity for some gentle scrambling.

ImageDSC04651 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04661 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben Venue on the left.

ImageDSC04662 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04667 by John Little, on Flickr
Ben More again.

ImageDSC04668 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04669 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04671 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04713 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04734 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC04743 by John Little, on Flickr
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Ben A'an at sunrise

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 am

Wow, your photos are eye candy after eye candy, and then the last one manages to top them all! Not walked Ben A'an yet, and you've just inspired a special sunrise treat some time. Glad you had such perfect conditions :D
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Some really superb pix :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fortunately, I don't suffer from the envy bug.....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Wow, your photos are eye candy after eye candy, and then the last one manages to top them all! Not walked Ben A'an yet, and you've just inspired a special sunrise treat some time. Glad you had such perfect conditions :D

Thanks! A good option for a sunrise walk with that easy to follow path.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some really superb pix :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fortunately, I don't suffer from the envy bug.....

Thanks Alteknacker. Can't go wrong really in that setting.
litljortindan
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland