walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorm

Cairngorm

Postby seamus0 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 19/01/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So I first did Cairngorm maybe 15 years ago, before I even heard of Munro bagging but as I never climbed it when I started to count Munros I thought I'd keep it for an easy day in Winter. This trip was my first this winter, and I was going to meet my mate from Manchester who was doing a winter skills course. So I thought it was the opportune moment to 'catch up' and take him up his first Winter climb in a reasonably 'safe' environment the day before his course began. The weather was good if not a bit blowy and we started off from the Ski centre car park in good spirits. I chose to follow the track directly behind the ski centre next to the red telephone box following up the ridge of Sron an Aonaich.
cairngorm-1.JPG
Start of Walk behind Ski Centre

cairngorm-4.JPG
Track up Sron an Aonaich

cairngorm-3.JPG
Walking up the ridge

A decent track was still visible for some of the way but it was mostly covered in ice and snow. Still, it provided a decent line to follow. Not much to say about this walk as it is relatively easy. Once we hit the ski run we followed it up to the Ptarmigan restaurant which took about 2 hrs of easy walking.
cairngorm-2.JPG
Views while walking up ridge

cairngorm-5.JPG
Ski run fence to follow up

After a rather civilized lunch we continued to face the freezing wind and follow the posts from the restaurant directly south to reach the top of Cairngorm. By this time the windchill up top was not one for hanging around in the arctic conditions.
cairngorm-7.JPG
Ptarmigan Restaurant

cairngorm-9.JPG
At the restaurant...winter conditions

cairngorm-8.JPG
Walking up

Visibility had deteriorated so I asked my mate which way he preferred to go back down.....the joint decision was the easiest given the conditions.
cairngorm-10.JPG
Following the posts to the top from the restaurant

cairngorm-11.JPG
Continuing the walk up

cairngorm-12.JPG
Frozen posts

cairngorm-13.JPG

cairngorm-14.JPG

cairngorm-15.JPG
The top

cairngorm-16.JPG
Weather getting worse

cairngorm-17.JPG

cairngorm-18.JPG

cairngorm-19.JPG
The clouds part for a second

cairngorm-20.JPG
Back down to the Ptarmigan

His walking pole had broken and was trying to fixt it in the storm...not the best. So we followed the same route back down. All-in-all a nice day out, and a nice introduction to winter walking in Scotland. Although I think my mate now thinks there will be a restaurant on top of every Munro he climbs :-)
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Cairngorm

Postby larry groo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:51 am

Nice.

Grand day for it too!
larry groo

Re: Cairngorm

Postby ancancha » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:26 am

So often by passed as it is on the beaten track :crazy:
Fence posts look great with their winter plumage 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland