walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New to the Game....Gotta be Ben Vane!

New to the Game....Gotta be Ben Vane!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 27/12/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 930m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bit of a backlog writing up trip reports, so I'll start with this one...
My friend is new to winter walking but had showed she could use an axe previously on Ben More. This time I chose Ben Vane, a hill that hopefully would provide some crampon action/mild scrambling.

June picked me up at 6.30am. We arrived at Inveruglas just after 8am. Booted and off walking about 8.15m, it was still dark. Well documented route so I'll keep the details short.

Start - Loch Lomond

Power Plant

Easy path for around 3k before reaching the base of the hill. Its basically straight up, working through crags nearer the summit.

On route.

Looking back, Ben Lomond in view.

Getting Steeper.

Getting higher.

As we climbed higher the rocks became problematic due to ice, however we managed to find routes through them. We enjoyed some mild scrambling nearing the summit, and soon we stood on top :)

Great views to Narnain & Ime.

It was windy on top so we took shelter and some lunch, it was pretty cold.

On route back down we donned the crampons due to the ice. Not the most comfortable in the mixed terrain but at least we went through the process of putting them on.

It was an easy walk back to the car park, with a final look across Loch Lomond to Ben Lomond.

Nice winter walk this, improving as height is gained. Good for building confidence if "new to the game" :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:256   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: New to the Game....Gotta be Ben Vane!

Postby terminalsump » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Nice trip and weather; Amazing how much its changed in one week - a significantly reduced snowpack.
terminalsump
Scrambler

Munros:220   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5

Re: New to the Game....Gotta be Ben Vane!

Postby litljortindan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 pm

I particularly like your ninth pic, the panoramic one. That's the sort of view to inspire a visit.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:111   Corbetts:57
Grahams:26   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland