walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Ptarmigan Ascent with an Old Timer :)

A Ptarmigan Ascent with an Old Timer :)

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 28/12/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After walking Ben Vane yesterday with a newbie it was time to head out with my more experienced mature friend, the legend that is Mountainthyme (Theresa). Munro Compleatist, soon to be Corbett compleatist, and all round athlete :lol: Actually couldn't believe she was doing a repeat :shock: :lol:

I drove to Theresa's then she drove us to the start, it was super dodgy due to the black ice...but we made it alive!
Ascending Ptarmigan meant less people and more excitement, however we would descend the tourist route. We started our walk around 9am, with only a few others heading up the ridge.

Within 30 minutes the views are fantastic :)

Theresa bringing up the rear...

Little Lochan

The path had been very icy, and microspikes would've been perfect. We resisted putting on crampons and soon reached the deep snow.

First view of the final ascent to the summit.

Fantastic Views...

As usual on ascents I sweat buckets, so stripped to change...much to the amusement of MT! Thank goodness she didn't have to :lol:

Starting the ridge to the summit. Some nice atmospheric shots due to the cloud.

It was good fun ascending the ridge. We soon reached some big rocks, so it was time for a pose :)

Looking back down the ridge

We reached the summit, and not surprisingly it was mobbed! I didn't bother taking a photo. MT being the legend she is new some folk and had a chat. We quickly moved along the ridge to find a quiet spot for lunch.

Heading along the ridge

After some food we made our way through the masses down the tourist route. Thankfully the views to Loch Lomond providing some distraction.

The drive back out was easier, thankfully. A great day out with my old mate MT, we would walk again (with a group) on Jan 2nd. Conditions that day wild, but a good day out.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:256   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: A Ptarmigan Ascent with an Old Timer :)

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am

Tremendous photos DB, MT take a few of them???? Or did she just steal them as usual? :wink:

You should have seen her on the Montrose St hill sprints last night. Ahead of me the whole way and still managed to tell a great story or three!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A Ptarmigan Ascent with an Old Timer :)

Postby Ardclach » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Looked like a perfect day to be on the hills.
Ardclach
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:97   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:96   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland