walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blowin' a hoolie on Hownam Law

Blowin' a hoolie on Hownam Law

Postby superstar_tradesman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hownam Law

Date walked: 28/01/2018

Time taken: 0.8 hours

Distance: 6.2 km

Ascent: 310m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ve been away working in the US for most of January, so a weekend trip back to the Borders was my first chance for a hill in 2018. The Sunday forecast wasn’t too promising, but suggested that an afternoon out somewhere in the eastern Borders might be the best bet. So I picked Hownam Law, a foothill in the Cheviots—exactly the kind of hill that I would have ignored as a Munro-obsessed teenager growing up in this part of the world, but now exactly the kind of hill that I love exploring :)

Coincidentally, Fife Flyer had posted a helpful walk trip from only two weeks ago, so that gave me a nice obvious route to follow. It was a wild, wet day, thankfully pretty mild too, so I left it late before heading out. That meant any plans of longer circuits taking in some of St Cuthbert’s Way to the north were quickly set aside.

The journey up alongside the Kale Water passed the remnants of some major flooding. But most of the water had long since left the road, and there were only a few small patches of snow on the upper slopes. I parked in exactly the same place as Fife Flyer, in the small lay-by just north of the Heavyside Bridge.

2018-01-28 14.53.09.jpg
Hownam Law from Heavyside Bridge

I was feeling energetic, so decided to make this a run rather than a walk. Just before 3pm headed off E across the bridge, and up and then down to the collection of houses at Howgate. The route to the hill involved following a track that soon led to a very muddy area through an open gate, and from then on it was a case of heading up the side of grassy fields, through three more gates (avoiding the dodgy coils stretched across in front), to reach the open hillside.

2018-01-28 15.14.48.jpg
Getting closer—Hownam Law from the last rickety gate

Hownam Law looks surprisingly impressive the closer you get—the SW nose is steeper than you might expect for hills in this area, so I followed the rough track NE of the steepest slopes, and then headed S and E to the summit trig point. The murky weather limited the views, though the cloud level was just high enough that I could see the border ridge of the Cheviots to the south. To the west…well, the wind was so strong that it required a fair effort just to get moving in that direction!

2018-01-28 15.27.53.jpg
East into the gloom from the summit

I left exploring the hill fort for another time, and pretty much retraced my steps back to the car, with one detour to avoid the most rickety gate well-illustrated in Fife Flyer’s walk report. I was back at the car in exactly 50 minutes, which I thought was a decent workout. I was very tempted by Linton Hill as I drove north, but decided that there wouldn’t be enough daylight to include it this time (okay, I didn't fancy changing back into muddy shoes again :) ). So I figured I’d leave it for another trip to the beautiful Borders.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Blowin' a hoolie on Hownam Law

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Glad my report was useful :lol:
It is an easy enjoyable walk up Hownam, no sign of the horse & ponies or were you too quick?
Thanks for posting.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:191   Corbetts:41
Grahams:16   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby superstar_tradesman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:02 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Glad my report was useful :lol:
It is an easy enjoyable walk up Hownam, no sign of the horse & ponies or were you too quick?
Thanks for posting.

I was looking out for them, but I didn't see them! Maybe they'd nipped down to Kelso racecourse :)
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:47 pm

On the evidence of only 3 photos, that looks like a very fine wee hill. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland