walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blasted off Stob Coire nan Lochan

Blasted off Stob Coire nan Lochan

Postby dav2930 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Date walked: 29/01/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 960m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few days based at Kinlochleven at the end of January had been planned for a while, but as is the nature of things, our hopes and desires had no influence on the weather. In fact our timing was especially bad, with low pressure dominating and a series of fronts hitting the west highlands day after day, bringing mild but wet and windy conditions. On the strength of the MWIS forecast we'd spent all day Sunday on the climbing wall in The Ice Factor, but had noticed that the Mamore ridges had been surprisingly clear at least until early afternoon, so we were determined to get out on Monday despite an equally unfavourable forecast - squally showers of snow, rain or hail, winds of up to 65 mph, perhaps more as the showers hit. The only positive note was the possibility of some bright spells between the showers.

So with this unpromising outlook we decided to try our luck up the Gearr Aonach zig-zags and hopefully on to Stob Coire nan Lochan by the east ridge. If we were really lucky we might just be able to sneak up to Bidean summit, then maybe even on to Stob Coire Sgreamhach... :lol: :roll:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As we pulled into the car park a sleety rain harried the windscreen, so it was straight on with the waterproofs as we got ready for the off. It didn't feel so bad once we got walking. It was certainly better than spending another day in The Ice Factor. We'd just have to see how far conditions would allow us to get.

Just before dropping down to the footbridge I stopped to get my camera out and as I did so three lads passed us. After taking a couple of shots we followed on behind. At the footbridge the mossy, wooded gorge was very impressive and made us glad to be out.

DSC03554.JPG
Gearr Aonach and Aonach Dubh from the north side of the river

DSC03556.JPG
Gearr Aonach

DSC03557.JPG
View upstream from footbridge

Our first challenge of course would be the zig-zags themselves. They were obviously going to be wet, but the mild conditions meant they wouldn't be icy or covered in snow. We wondered if the lads ahead of us would also be going up them. They were certainly heading that way and we continued to follow them at a respectful distance. Then we were surprised to see they'd stopped to put on helmets and harnesses at the point where the route cuts back right following a narrow ledge under a cave. Maybe they had something harder in mind, we wondered, but we asked if they were going up the zig-zags and they said they were. Given the wet and slimy conditions we didn't blame them for playing it safe.

DSC03559.JPG
Glencoe from start of zig-zags

DSC03560.JPG
The three lads gearing up for the zig-zags

The little slab just below the cave was slightly awkward due to its sliminess, but on the whole the route was deceptively easy, following a well-worn path. After working rightwards for a fair distance the path turns back left and at this point you are confronted by a steep section of rocky steps above a smooth slab. This is the crux of the route. It can look a little daunting when it's dripping wet, but it's well-supplied with big holds and foot-ledges and with care is easily negotiated.

DSC03561.JPG
Half-way up the crux section

DSC03562.JPG
Looking down from crux section

The path continues more easily leftwards for quite a distance, then goes up a rocky step and turns back right. Some distance along here a short scramble leads up to the top of the nose. We went too far right and ended up scrambling up a rather exposed bulge of rock above the face.

DSC03563.JPG
Walls of Aonach Eagach from top of nose

Once on top we stopped to put an extra layer on as it felt significantly colder. Then we began the enjoyable walk along the crest of Gearr Aonach. The smatterings of snow along here were mainly slushy but sometimes covered small sheets of ice.

DSC03565.JPG
Beinn Fhada, Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Lost Valley

DSC03567.JPG
Aonach Dubh and Stob Coire nan Lochan

DSC03568.JPG
Gearr Aonach and Stob Coire nan Lochan

At the end of Gearr Aonach, the east ridge of Stob Coire nan Lochan curved up into the clag. It was breezy but really didn't seem too bad. We needed to get to the end of Gearr Aonach to reach a safe descent route in any case, so from that point we'd see how things looked.

DSC03570.JPG
Head of Glencoe

DSC03571.JPG
Aonach Eagach

DSC03572.JPG
Gearr Aonach and Stob Coire nan Lochan

DSC03573.JPG
Aonach Eagach

The hard work began when we reached the snowfields on the final part of Gearr Aonach. It was the sort of snow that was sometimes firm enough to take your weight and sometimes not. There were many deep, hidden holes to sink into and this made the going pretty arduous. We hoped the east ridge itself would be firmer as we put our crampons on, but it remained the same. It was a lot windier here too. But at least the clag had cleared off the summit, which was encouraging for the time being.

DSC03574.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan, east ridge on left

We reached a notch in the ridge just below a rocky step, which had been clearly visible from below, and decided to stop there for food and coffee, as the rocks offered some shelter. There were momentary views across the Lost Valley to Beinn Fhada and the Buachailles, and we chatted optimistically. By now, though, we'd pretty much decided that we wouldn't be going beyond the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan.

DSC03576.JPG
Beinn Fhada from east ridge of SCnL

DSC03577.JPG
Stob Coire Screamhach from east ridge of SCnL, just before the blizzard hit.

After about 15 agreeable minutes came a sudden roar from the corrie behind us and we were hit by a ferocious blizzard. I was using my rucksack as a backrest, but the wind caught it and it ended up at my feet, with me clinging on to it for fear of losing it altogether. Within seconds the two of us were completely covered in snow. Trying to look into the blizzard was like trying to look into a sandstorm. We ducked down behind the rocks, trying to get as much shelter as possible, while putting on our ski goggles and putting away our flasks and sit-mats. We stood up, looked up the ridge and down the ridge, not seeing much either way, while the blizzard continued to rage. 'Well we could carry on up if you want', I said to Karl. 'Or we could get the hell out of here'. We decided to get the hell out of there. So back down the ridge we went, trying to follow our own upward footprints which had all but disappeared, testing each step for firmness but still sinking up to our knees every few steps, battered by the blustery blizzard.

Near the bottom of the ridge the wind and snow eased off and we passed a party of four climbers on their way up. We looked up the ridge and it was beginning to clear once more. But we'd come too far down to seriously consider going back up again. We just had to accept that the timing of the blizzard had been against us. As we made our way down to the Coire floor we kept looking back up at the improving conditions on the ridge, and the slow progress of the other climbers. We hoped they made it to the top, and it's likely they did, as conditions were improving all the time.

DSC03578.JPG
Looking back up to the coire rim from the descent

We were slightly kicking ourselves as we made our way down the snowy basin towards the standard path. But as Karl nicely put it, it does you good to be beaten by adverse conditions every once in a while, and in any case it was great to get out in such magnificent surroundings, summit or no summit.

DSC03579.JPG
Aonach Eagach under a brightening sky
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Blasted off Stob Coire nan Lochan

Postby ancancha » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 am

Nice report and photos :clap:
Always a bit disappointing when you turn back due to the weather, only to be bathed in benign conditions later :(
Good luck on the next escapade :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby arjh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 pm

On the same day as you I retreated from the east ridge of Stob Ban in the Grey Corries when an almost identical blast came out of nowhere. The spindrift was still being thrown off the ridge in huge clouds when I got down to the glen.
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 pm

That sounded challenging - big difference in the weather compared to last weekend. Often hard to decide what to do at the time - for all you knew, conditions could have got a lot worse if you'd carried on - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dav2930 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice report and photos :clap:
Always a bit disappointing when you turn back due to the weather, only to be bathed in benign conditions later :(
Good luck on the next escapade :wink:

Thanks ancancha. Yeah it's very frustrating and you can't help feeling you've wimped out - but that's with hindsight of course. Looking forward to the next escapade already! :lol:

arjh wrote:On the same day as you I retreated from the east ridge of Stob Ban in the Grey Corries when an almost identical blast came out of nowhere. The spindrift was still being thrown off the ridge in huge clouds when I got down to the glen.

Sounds like those blizzardy blasts were fairly widespread that day; I remember the forecast did warn of snow showers being accompanied by violent winds. Thanks for sharing your experience, as it's good to know we weren't the only ones forced to retreat - though of course it will have been disappointing for you as it was for us. It does make us feel vindicated though! :thumbup: :lol:

rockhopper wrote:That sounded challenging - big difference in the weather compared to last weekend. Often hard to decide what to do at the time - for all you knew, conditions could have got a lot worse if you'd carried on - cheers :)

Thanks RH. I think you've captured the dilemma perfectly. It's definitely the not knowing if things are going to get better or worse that makes it so hard to decide - and the thought of the possible consequences of it getting worse that ultimately tips the balance! :think: :)
dav2930
Ambler

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Winter in Scotland eh? Shame you weren't up the following week/weekend!

Still, looked nice from the comfort of behind my computer screen :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dav2930 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:51 pm

malky_c wrote:Winter in Scotland eh? Shame you weren't up the following week/weekend!

Still, looked nice from the comfort of behind my computer screen :lol:

Yeah, can be very frustrating at times. The following Friday and Sunday were superb but we were back in Cumbria by then. Absolute sod's law! :cry:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Always a bit disappointing when one has to turn back... At least in your case it was external conditions. You can always say "not my fault, weather wouldn't let me summit!" :lol: I had a similar incident last Sunday on Beinn Alligin. We climbed up to Tom na Gruagaich, weather was superb, snow conditions not too bad, we had winter gear but... I developed a bad stomach bug en route. I'll save you details :wink: Basically, I must have eaten something dodgy. Continuing to Sgurr Mor in such circumstances was out of question. We turned back and descended the hill safely, but I was so angry and frustrated :evil: I'm still trying to convince myself to write TR about my "adventure". Maybe I should call it "Burped off Alligin ridge" :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:21 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Always a bit disappointing when one has to turn back... At least in your case it was external conditions. You can always say "not my fault, weather wouldn't let me summit!" :lol: I had a similar incident last Sunday on Beinn Alligin. We climbed up to Tom na Gruagaich, weather was superb, snow conditions not too bad, we had winter gear but... I developed a bad stomach bug en route. I'll save you details :wink: Basically, I must have eaten something dodgy. Continuing to Sgurr Mor in such circumstances was out of question. We turned back and descended the hill safely, but I was so angry and frustrated :evil: I'm still trying to convince myself to write TR about my "adventure". Maybe I should call it "Burped off Alligin ridge" :lol: :lol:

Thanks BP - very understanding of you! :)
Your experience on Beinn Alligin sounds pretty horrible; there's no way you can keep on and up when you're suffering from a bug like that. In fact you did well to get back down without needing to be carried! I can imagine how frustrated you must have felt too, as it's not often you get decent winter conditions in a place like Torridon :( . Please do write a TR, I think it would be very interesting. Great title too! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Nice report.

I'm never overly bothered when I have to turn back on a hill, it all adds to the experience. Has happened numerous times, sometimes followed by a clearing, sometimes by a worsening.

Anyway, you get back to the pub earlier!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Nice report.

I'm never overly bothered when I have to turn back on a hill, it all adds to the experience. Has happened numerous times, sometimes followed by a clearing, sometimes by a worsening.

Anyway, you get back to the pub earlier!

Thanks Mal. That's a very good attitude to have I must say. I think I was more bothered about it than Karl was - we had an enjoyable day out on the hill, that was the main thing. Good point about getting back to the pub earlier! :lol: The Clachaig it was. Had a nice meal of veggie haggis, neeps & tatties and got talking to some Americans (from Kansas). Interesting evening! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:05 am

Turning back often feels bad immediately afterwards, but with a bit of distance one usually recognises it the right thing. I turned back shortly before the summit of Tryfan the other week, essentially because I didn't feel that we were adequately equipped for the conditions, and my companion was very inexperienced. I felt terrible at the time, but in hindsight it was definitely the correct course of action.

(And I should have done this on Dduallt last Friday.... :( ).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Turning back often feels bad immediately afterwards, but with a bit of distance one usually recognises it the right thing. I turned back shortly before the summit of Tryfan the other week, essentially because I didn't feel that we were adequately equipped for the conditions, and my companion was very inexperienced. I felt terrible at the time, but in hindsight it was definitely the correct course of action.

(And I should have done this on Dduallt last Friday.... :( ).

Have to agree with you there AK; the hill isn't going anywhere and it's better not to take undue risks. Speaking of which, I've just read TR on your Friday epic. That did sound very hairy! :shock: Will add a comment tomorrow.
dav2930
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland