walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Biggar Trio

A Biggar Trio

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Mount, Broomy Law, Goseland Hill

Date walked: 01/02/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 670m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In an effort to get out on a regular basis I was watching the forecast (like everyone else) and a promising forecast popped up. I was aware that George (dibs) hadn't been out for the best part of 6 weeks so I contacted him to see if he fancied tackling a few little hills in the Borders - naturally he jumped at the offer. I was keen to try and visit Broomy Law & Black Mount after my last aborted attempt a few months ago, however I knew they wouldn't be too difficult so we could add a bonus hill into the equation. Goseland Hill fitted the bill perfectly and that would be our first hill as the cunning plan I devised involved having a leisurely cup of coffee and then romping up the next couple of hills.
I volunteered to drive so George arrived at my house and we set off just before 8.30 to go and do battle with all those working type people :lol: :lol:
We weren't in a hurry which was just as well at the queue at Newbridge (outskirts of Edinburgh) was stop start and then a steady 30/40mph to the City Bypass. Once out of the city area the traffic was 'normal' and once we turned left in Biggar onto the unclassified road the surface became rather challenging. Not a problem for you big vehicle 4x4 drivers, I however drive a frugal car that isn't designed to skate on an icy surface. There was an interesting ascent and descent before we parked up, so great care was taken with no scares.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Goseland Hill route

Looking down the road ahead

Parking spot whilst we get ourselves sorted

Once kitted up we were off and George was pleased that we were going up straight from the off.

We would follow the track uphill before turning left higher up

Looking back

George looking west towards Tinto

Looking south

SW

Northish

George appearing, Goseland Hill summit trig

It took us about 30mins to reach the summit, lovely blue sky. We then discussed our descent plan and unanimously agreed to adopt the direct descent, which turned out to be very easy straightforward.

Here comes George

Tinto looking good

Biggar in the distance

Flooded fields

Once back at the car we took off our muddy boots and set off back towards Biggar, the ice on the road had started to thaw. After a couple of miles we came to a slow stop on the single track road as a gritter was reversing up the hill, spreading the grit whilst crawling uphill. Once the driver spotted us he stopped and rolled down to the farm about 20yards, stopped and came across to ask us what the road behind was like, so he was duly updated.
I had planned the next 2 hills to be tackled from one parking spot, the Big Rad Barn near Dolphinton. I had been passed it umpteen times and often wondered what it was like inside so today we would find out. We arrived just before 11am and we were the only customers, it is table service and it is impossible not to notice the fabulous selection of cakes and scones. I opted for a slice of Border Tart and George asked for a scone which was enormous. If anyone else is thinking of tackling these hills the BRB is well worth a visit.

Parking spot

Border Tart for those who have never heard or seen it

I noticed when doing my research for the walk that the majority of folk tackle Broomy Law from the south, I knew that would involve dicing with death walking at the side of the busy A702 for about 100yards, no footpath and a very narrow grass verge. To save moving the car around the Big Red Barn car park offers easy access to both hills. I plotted a route onto my phone but as visibility was excellent we made the route up as we progressed. My original plan was to return to the car park and then head across to Black Mount, but when were on the summit of Broomy we assessed the lie of the land below us and opted to once again use the direct route and it worked a treat.

Broomy Law from the car park

Looking in the opposite direction to Black Mount

Looking back to the Red Barn hidden behind the trees

Broomy Law summit and all the masts etc

Looking back to our start point

Looking across to our next and final hill Black Mount

Our direct descent route was rapid until we reached a fenced area, to the right was a deer fence with a clearing on the other side and to left was a low barbed wire fence that had a very small forest literally littered with junk, luckily the road was only about 20yards from the fence so that was our choice.

Not a pretty sight.

Dumping ground

Not a pretty sight and I don't mean George

Our exit out of the forest brought us onto the A702 which we crossed and climbed another small fence

We then followed the fence line which brought us to a gate and then onto the A721 which we crossed and went through another gate.

Looking back to Broomy Law with the fence on the left

Once across the A721 we opted to head for an obvious gully heading uphill

Some sort of watering contraption

Same contraption sideways on

Action shot - George demonstrating how to clamber over a style

We stayed to the left of the fence and halfway along climbed over a gate and then went up the gully in the distance

Looking back down the gully, was very sheltered and we were soon overheating. Broomy Law in the background

Gaining height slowly

Top of the gully we turned right and the going got really tough. Soft snow covering heather = a struggle

Summit in the distance, decision time left or right gate - we opted to go left

Looking back

Unique summit trig on Black Mount

Looking SW

Icy top of the trig

View south ish

Interesting ice fence

Once again our descent route was 'modified', rather than retrace our steps we decided to create a direct route back to the car. Descending over the heather was certainly much easier than ascending and with George leading the way rapid progress was made.

The final descent

The plan was to descend the shoulder on the left of the shot, naturally trying to avoid any more ascending

We weren't sure what had spooked the sheep as we were still quite a distance from them

Sheep galloping from right to left

Run out of money, winter lay off - certainly not much action

Once we climbed yet another fence that took us back onto the main road we were soon back at the car. A cracking day out and a huge thanks to George great company as always. Goseland was really easy, as was Broomy, Black Mount was certainly a bit more challenging, maybe as it is slightly higher and more exposed. Fantastic days walking and would recommend our route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Broomy Law and Black Mount route
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A Biggar Trio

Postby dibs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Great report and as usual with good humour and acurate info for others. As said it was a tough day for me but really enjoyable given the weather and company.
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland