walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Western Campsie Bumps

Some Western Campsie Bumps

Postby iangpark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 04/02/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 967m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been planning for nearly 2 weeks to visit the Ochils but (as usual) completely forgot how useless public transport is on Sundays. Instead decided to get a late 11:05am bus to Strathblane to tick off a few Campsie hills as I had never before visited.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Got off in Strathblane and took the upper Blanefield road to begin the ascent of the impressive escarpment. It kept its formidability right until I was half way up! There was a man seemingly following my route a few minutes behind but he mysteriously vanished.

How the heck am I getting up that?:
1 - How Am I Getting Up There.jpg

This way, of course:
2 - I Went Up The Left.jpg

Over to the Kilpatrick Hills:
3 - Over to Kilpatrick Hills.jpg

It was properly tough going, using my hands quite a bit and taking a ton of breaks. I had to put the fleece and camera in the bag just to cool myself down from all the sweating! There was a bird of prey nest on the cliff but my call knowledge is embarrassingly poor - if I were to guess I'd say Kestrel. Some seagull calls from the cliff face too.

Along the escarpment:
4 - Along the Escarpment.jpg

Who needs The Chancellor?:
5 - Scarier than The Chancellor.jpg

Summit Slackdhu:
7 - Summit Slackdhu.jpg

Scotland's weather summed up in one photo; clag left, sunshine right:
6 - Clag Left, Sunshine Right.jpg

Dumgoyne & Loch Lomond:
8 - Dumgoyne and Loch Lomond.jpg

I followed the ATV paths for 5 or so minutes but decided that the bog was going to be equally as bad wherever I went so aimed straight for the fenceposts up to Earl's Seat. Potentially the worst bog I've come across - thank goodness there was snow about. The worst part however was the deep spongy heather just before the main ascent - just that type of the terrain that makes you want to blast out a war cry that could be heard from Stirling!

Trump Tussocks:
9 - Trump Tussocks.jpg

Earl's Seat Trig:
10 - Earl's Seat Trig.jpg

I met a nice guy at the summit, whom I chatted to for 5 minutes before he set off - we decided to do an experiment: he'll go the long way round over the cairns but on a good path, I (with my new Salomons) will go straight along the moorland, where there's a prominent snowy path. Even after waiting about for a few minutes before heading off, I still won by a minute or two (as he had predicted!) My way was definitely boggier - if this wasn't a test for my new boots I don't know what was.

Final bit of uphill for a while:
11 - Final Bit of Uphill.jpg

Vast airy views:
12 - Vast Aire.jpg

Dumgoyne from above:
13 - Dumgoyne From Above.jpg

After saying cheerio to the man, I made my way down to the base of Dumgoyne. It is much bigger in real life than any photo I'd come across - I'd assumed it was just a simple little bump but I was gravely mistaken!

From below:
14 - From Below.jpg

Although steeper, the route up only took 10 minutes and the views opened up spectacularly. I took a seat and finished the last of my tea, taking it all in - the crepuscular evening rays, snowy Luss Grahams and Trossach Munros as well as sunlit Glasgow and Kilpatrick hills.

Looking back along the escarpment:
15 - Back Along Escarpment.jpg

From whence I came:
16 - From Whence I Came.jpg

I eventually decided to start heading back down, although the W side footpath is so eroded that is it as the point where the slippery mud is impossible to walk on. My feet were in agony by the time I made it down to the fields, after nearly falling quite badly a few times. There was still enough light left to have a shot at the wooded bump, Dumgoyach, so followed the road on for a bit and turned to join the WHW. I picked a moment where the path was close to the woodland to jump the deer fence, while no walkers were watching! The terrain was hellish and I pulled a tendon in the back of my leg after slipping numerous times on the wet muddy foliage. The summit was much more lacklustre than I'd envisioned - just a brown brackeny mess with no views or distinct features.

Summit of Dumgoyach:
17 - Summit Dumgoyach.jpg

I hadn't really planned a way back down so looked on the OS Maps app and went down the more gradual side, if you can call it that. There was a muddy track that went nowhere according to the app, but another below it that took me back the main road, eventually. The second path was very odd - it looked as if there had been plans for a railway track about a hundred years ago as there was a ridge of raised ground with a path, but also a lower, wider and boggier straight which followed it parallel. Maybe the estate had some plans that never came to fruition? (After some research, it is indeed a dismantled railway.) I eventually crossed over a bridge (the water of which you should not drink from - I have now been ill for a week :? ) and past the ponds to join the main road once again.

I was greeted to a great strip of sunlight beaming over the escarpment:
18 - Slackdhu Sunset.jpg

After that it was a 45 minute walk back to Strathblane. I pondered with the idea of going for a pint as I was an hour early for the bus but the inn looked packed - opted for some Co-op mini eggs instead. Waited about at the bus stop for half an hour before the bus driver pulled up and gave a funny grin they always give when they can tell you've been out hillwalking all day!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Some Western Campsie Bumps

Postby UrbanExplorer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm

That looks like a grand wee trek, I'm needing to spend a bit of time in the Campsies, whats the bog factor like ?
UrbanExplorer

Munros:48   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   

Re: Some Western Campsie Bumps

Postby iangpark » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 pm

UrbanExplorer wrote:That looks like a grand wee trek, I'm needing to spend a bit of time in the Campsies, whats the bog factor like ?

Well I was quite lucky to get some frozen snow Iain (was munching on it all day :lol: ), although the stretch from Slackdhu to Earl's Seat would be trip-endingly boggy after a full night's rain - it was just bareable for me on the hard snow. Rest was pretty much fine!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland