walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe (Ruadh-stac Mor and Spidean Coire nan Clach)

Beinn Eighe (Ruadh-stac Mor and Spidean Coire nan Clach)

Postby Bod » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 12/10/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Leaving our rare wee Crofter's Cottage in Poolewe at 9.30am we enjoyed a beautiful drive via Gairloch and down the side of Loch Maree taking in some great views of Slioch before arriving at Kinlochewe and turning right towards Torridon. Beinn Eighe here we come!
DSCN8459.JPG
Clouds lifting and all of getting excited about the day ahead (Myself, Valerie and Ritchie the dug!)
DSCN8460.JPG
Liathach appearing as we near our carpark.
DSCN8461.JPG
Spidean Coire nan Clach our planned 2nd summit showing the area of our path to descend later in the day.
Parking at the lower carpark we headed up the usual path through Coire Dubh Mor and around the impressive mass of Sail Mhor, up past the waterfalls and up into Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair. A beautiful clear day was unfolding as we were treated to glorious views to the West and North with Stags roaring in rut all around.
DSCN8472.JPG
The river crossing that helps clearly identify your position in the glen.
DSCN8478.JPG
Wild and wonderful lands...
DSCN8488.JPG
The loch in the most impressive Coire Mhic Fhearchair.
DSCN8492.JPG
Grandeur, mystique and excitement of what comes next!
DSCN8496.JPG
Triple Buttress
The scramble up the side of Ruadh-stac Mor lay ahead and that was exactly what it was, very steep and scrambly with some challenge and fun. Ritchie our golden lab managed up on his own, leading the way on the lower parts and meeting few deer mid-way, but this was tough for him and the limit of where I would take him. In fact the high areas of Beinn Eighe are not suited to dogs unless they are very fit and used to mountains. On reaching the first munro summit the reward for our efforts were well worth it, and it was a day to savour.
DSCN8503.JPG
There is an option to follow the stoney spout to the bealach or skirt to the left over boulder fields and very steep rocky hillside. We went for the latter....
DSCN8510.JPG
ye-ha! Just as well it was such a nice day though..
DSCN8511.JPG
First sight of our 2nd summit from the northwest.
DSCN8515.JPG
But first a very pleasant stroll meeting more deer to the top of Ruadh-stac Mor.
DSCN8518.JPG
1010 metres above sea level.
Time to head now back to the bealach and follow the rocky ridge of varied and spectacular character, first skirting Coinneach Mhor, then following an exhillerating route before reaching the trig point of Spidean Coire nan Clach.
DSCN8523.JPG
0000H.....
DSCN8526.JPG
The top of the spout from the bealach.
DSCN8532.JPG
Walking round watching our time, starting to see back down into Glen Torridon.
DSCN8535.JPG
Making fine progress. Watch our for loose rocks and changing geology underfoot.
DSCN8538.JPG
What a very fine mountain! Enjoy...
DSCN8544.JPG
Noting the South East spur reached from the trig point - our way down, but more to explore! Bags left at the trig point and "must-do" fun wee scramble to the summit of Spidean Coire nan Clach.
DSCN8550.JPG
Wow! Rough and ready...
DSCN8552.JPG
A wonderful place to be! Mars Bars taste great here...
DSCN8564.JPG
Valerie loving her experience on Beinn Eighe - not as treacherous as this looks...
DSCN8566.JPG
Back to the trig point just 200 metres away.
DSCN8571.JPG
Be sure to allow time for a careful descent down the path in Coire an Laoigh.
Once down the path which becomes a very good path lower down, you arrive at the upper carpark that is not as suited for parking. We walked out onto the tarmac delighted with our time on the mountains yet again, then watching out for deer again we spent the last half hour walking the 2km down the glen back to where we started. Glen Torridon, we'll be back!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Beinn Eighe (Ruadh-stac Mor and Spidean Coire nan Clach)

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:49 am

Nice to see what it looks like - we did that route in a big group but never saw a thing!
mountain coward

Postby Jockstar » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:01 am

That looks splendid and the weather to match....thought about poor ritchie's paws but he looked in good shape :D
The walk along the ridge looked spectacular, and Torridon is so incredible...Val was looking good on the scramble :lol:
Didn't the water look so still and Bod with Richie at the summit has got to be the Xmas card for this year :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby davetherave » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Really is a fab hill.. :D We had a couple days in the Torridon hills last week also. ( great weather ) :D

We did Beinn Eighe on Monday the 11th the day before you and had weather to match yours.. :lol:

Some cracking pics you got for your day, that Tripple Buttress is truly amazing.

Like yourself we also had the mutt with us ( he comes with us nearly always ) would be impossible to leave the house with our hiking gear if he new he was not invited. :lol:

Will have to get a post in for Beinn Eighe soon.
Here is a link to our Beinn Alligin post we did on Oct 10th.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7782

Thanks for the post it has brought back the memories.

Dave Julie and ( wilson ) :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Alastair S » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Fab report & photos - I only hope I get weather half as good when I get round to this :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Bod » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:28 am

Alastair S wrote:Fab report & photos - I only hope I get weather half as good when I get round to this :D

Hi Alastair, pick your time and check mwis carefully and I am sure you will get to enjoy a fine day on Beinn Eighe too. Suspect it could be another year now though unless you enjoy the winter? Also, I take it you have bagged Scolty a few times? I am a Banchory boy and been over every inch of Scolty Hill. Cheers
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:52 am

Thanks for your comments and yes what a great few days. We'll be heading back to the area for sure, but in the mean time we are looking forward to seeing your Bienn Eighe report. Great Bienn Alligan report, memories for me of an amazing trip when I was about 17.
davetherave wrote:Really is a fab hill.. :D We had a couple days in the Torridon hills last week also. ( great weather ) :D

We did Beinn Eighe on Monday the 11th the day before you and had weather to match yours.. :lol:

Some cracking pics you got for your day, that Tripple Buttress is truly amazing.

Like yourself we also had the mutt with us ( he comes with us nearly always ) would be impossible to leave the house with our hiking gear if he new he was not invited. :lol:

Will have to get a post in for Beinn Eighe soon.
Here is a link to our Beinn Alligin post we did on Oct 10th.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7782

Thanks for the post it has brought back the memories.

Dave Julie and ( wilson ) :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:55 am

Will think about it Jockstar, catch you soon! Cheers
Jockstar wrote:That looks splendid and the weather to match....thought about poor ritchie's paws but he looked in good shape :D
The walk along the ridge looked spectacular, and Torridon is so incredible...Val was looking good on the scramble :lol:
Didn't the water look so still and Bod with Richie at the summit has got to be the Xmas card for this year :lol:
Bod
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland