walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich - First Munro

Ben Vorlich - First Munro

Postby colinhorn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 03/02/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 985m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this past weekend I ascended on my very first ever Munro.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was getting myself into, but boy did I love it.
I went along with my friend Greg who had previously had done Ben Lomond a few weeks before hand.

Starting off at the informal parking we arrived just after 10am on a drive from Glasgow.
I got my new walking boots on, made sure my bag was all sorted and off we went.

There was a group of 3 people a head of us and a larger walking group behind. So I figured that if anything was to go wrong on my first walk there's more than just myself and Greg kicking about.

The beginning of the walk was quite pleasant, the weather was pretty clear, not too cold either. So with all my layers on expecting the worst it was a bit warm.

Walking along you got lovely little streams and sheep just dotted around the area and didn't make me think anything of what was further up the mountain

Once the path started to disappear this is when it got a bit interesting. I'm not really the fittest person. As I never had done even just hill walking before let alone walking UP a mountain it was pretty challenging. After about an hour and a half I thought we could start seeing the summit and thought that it wasn't going to be a problem at all. Getting through the deep snow and rocky patches was pretty fun. But when we started reaching what we thought was the summit, it just seems to keep going :shock: (been told now if you don't think you've reached the summit 10 times before actually doing so then you're not doing it right :lol:).

After about 2 hours I all of a sudden realised that looking behind us and in front of us we couldn't see anything at all, the snow and wind really did start to pick up! This point as a part of making sure we're safe I thought I'd get out my phone to check the compass...."App will download from the app store when mobile data is available"....bloody idiot I am forgetting that since I never use the app that it was just stored on the cloud :clap:. Luckily though we then caught up with the group in front of us. They were practising emergency stopping with their ice axe's. So seeing them not stressing out and having a bit of fun put me back at ease.

Onwards and upwards!

Due to the amount of snow we verge off of the normal route, no indication on what way was the "right" way at all . Greg headed on and picked, what I can only describe as my personal Everest route. Steep rocks under the snow and quite the sharp incline. About 3 times I literally thought "this is it, this is how I'm going to end up on the 6 o'clock news under the title 'idiot had to be rescued off of a mountain today'". But I kept on going, legs just trudging along, never have I felt energetic but at the same time my body not responding in the way I wanted it to...

Finally after about 2 and a half hours we reached the top! I bagged my first Munro, and couldn't be happier!

After staying at the top for about 5-10 minutes, having a got drink and getting some food we headed back down again. Wasn't nearly as bad coming back down, passing the group that started behind us and eventually reaching the path again it was a really enjoyable experience

On the journey down I took the opportunity to get some more snaps, and of course had to get out my drone for some footage!

After bagging my first Munro it definitely won't be my last. Already planning out the next walk.
colinhorn
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Ben Vorlich - First Munro

Postby Chris Mac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 am

Nice one mate congrats on your first Munro! :clap:

Ben Vorlich was Munro number 10 for me last year, done during very strong winds, your drone would have ended up in Loch Earn if you had it out that day!! :lol:

Nice footage though, looking forward to seeing it deployed again during future walks.... cheers!
Chris Mac

Munros:40   Corbetts:22
Grahams:10   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland