walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steepy adrenaline & superb winter views from Kintail West

Steepy adrenaline & superb winter views from Kintail West

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 04/02/2018

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1057m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

RK_gpx _2018-02-04_0715.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The sunday was one and only day off work for me, finally after a hard working week with very early starts, the only opportunity to sleep a little bit longer and regenerate for another working week ahead, but could I ignore this weather forecast ?
20180204_005920.jpg
The Forecast

The forecast looked more than promising, rare especially for the West so I forgot quickly about any resting day and prepared all my stuff for the one day trip which means 4h 45 mins driving one way :crazy: Got to bed late evening for @ 1.5 h sleep as the alarm sounded just shortly after midnight. Checked the forecast for more areas again, prepared plan B & C just in case I left home at 01:30 am.
Some usual stops for nights/mornings shots from the road and checking the weather again I got to Arnisdale very early morning, still in the darkness. Nice moonlight was helpful and made the morning's scenery great :D
The initial way was more boggy than I hoped for as the temperature was not freezy in the bottom. Beautiful sunrise colours as I gained the height, then very steepy ascent...some effort needed in the scree - snow - moving boulders, a lot of energy spent to get on the top :roll: But not concerning so much about that as the views started opening the beauty around :D 8)
Changed jacket, removed gloves, crampons and ice-axe, fuelled by bananas I enjoyed the first top.
The way towards the second top - the summit of B.S. over the ridge was ok, even despite the very deep snow on the edge of narrow part the ridge with cornices...until I got to the end where I saw loosened block of snow just in front of me. This part was very narrow and not allowed avoiding the loosened block of snow. It was very close to the summit on the end of the ridge, but big dillema for me as I was not sure if the part of loosened snow will move when I will step on it...looking down I guess it would be probably fatal and maybe release more snow as an avalanche on the slip...Maybe it would be OK and I would just finish the ridge without any incidents...not easy to turn back when I was too close, saw the summit...and also hard to imagine going back the way I ascended as a descending way...easier would be just finish the circle via the other side of the mountain...but I was not sure and in case of releasing the block of snow the risk was big enough to turn me back... :(
Imagining the descending the same way was not much better, but still a safer option. Decided and not regrets as the views made my day. :D 8) :D
After endless way back to the car and then another driving ( over 5 hours now as there was an accident on A9 later on ), I finally got home @ 20:30 full of great memories from the beautiful Kintail. Got to bed after 22:15 for a very short sleep, then woke up to work at 00:15 again with long day ahead.
Despite of the lack of sleep without any rest I was happy and grateful for the opportunity to enjoy another great day in the scottish mountains. 8)

Here is the movie from the wonderful day in Kintail:
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Steepy adrenaline & superb winter views from Kintail Wes

Postby Coop » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Fantastic. :clap: I'm in Ratagan in April and this is one I have planned while im there - so thankyou for the great video.
Looked steep in parts there. Your hands must've been cold at times there.

Oh. And I do like a good western theme tune. Very apt.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby litljortindan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Sgritheall at its dazzling best. Some superb footage there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Coop wrote:Fantastic. :clap: I'm in Ratagan in April and this is one I have planned while im there - so thankyou for the great video.
Looked steep in parts there. Your hands must've been cold at times there.

Oh. And I do like a good western theme tune. Very apt.

litljortindan wrote:Sgritheall at its dazzling best. Some superb footage there.

Thank you both :) Great viewpoint all directions there, far from home but worthy trip.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 am

I really enjoyed that video, it is such a beautiful area, especially in the snow. :clap: :clap:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby onsen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:15 am

From a Health & Safety point of view, I'd say your trip would put you straight into the high risk red zone... :lol:
From a walkers perspective...the trip was well worth it. 8)
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:57 pm

You seem to be getting one superb day after another this winter!

Looking across from Bhuide Bheinn on the WH winter meet in November, I was really impressed with this one and thought then it's a hill I must do.

Lot's of sensational views to enjoy in the video - I do envy you. It must have been pretty hard work getting up there, though, looking at the snow conditions and the slope, and having to break your own trail. And how you manage without something protecting your ears (to judge from the signs of spindrift it was quite windy), I can't imagine :shock: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ancancha » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Nice one Petr :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Thank you for all the comments :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland