walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Brack and back

The Brack and back

Postby U059361 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Route description: The Brack and Cnoc Còinnich , Ardgartan

Corbetts included on this walk: The Brack

Date walked: 21/02/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.2 km

Ascent: 850m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted a short route, a steep climb and a new hill I hadn't done before and the Brack was one I had looked at before so decided this was the one. Not disappointed. Good car parking and no snow lying here, but I had seen the hill driving over from Tarbert at Loch Lomond and there looked to be a lot higher up. I was prepared though, gaiters and spikes were in the bag. I put the gaiters on from the start, makes it easier later on when I would put on my spikes. A long walk along the forest track till the sign is reached that the hill climb is about to start.
ImageThe Brack from the track by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It is a scramble to get up and off the track then a mud slide to negotiate to get up and out of the forest. I was glad to get to the end of it and up and over the fence on to open ground. A good view of the climb ahead and no snow yet. The path follows a ridge up beside the burn and then crosses it to follow another ridge towards the big boulders at the top.
ImageThe Rest and be Thankful from the climb up by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The burn was running big but carefully got across without getting my feet wet. Patches of snow before the first of the big boulders and it is packed hard and frozen. I managed to avoid the worst to start with but the burn sides narrow and more snow was lying in it, so time to put the spikes on. A hard climb up away from the burn with loose snow about but once up top the snow cover up the rest of the way to the top was pretty complete and firm, making walking up on spikes a pleasure, even better than walking up on grass.
ImageFollow the footprints, the Brack by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I made good time from here even though I hadn't walked for a while. Eventually get into sunshine near the top and the wind started to pick up, so I put my jacket on. At the top, the sun was warm and the snow was softer so the walking was a bit tougher. However, someone had been up when it was fresh and so I simple followed their compressed snow footprints just like a staircase all the way to the top. The lochan was frozen over but easy to spot and avoid.
ImageFrozen lochan and the top of the Brack by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLoch Long, Cnoc Coinnich, Ardgartan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageView over cliffs on the Brack by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMunros Narnain and Ime with the Cobbler by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGlen Croe from the Brack by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCnoc Coinnich and Inverary by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageThe Brack over to Ben Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great views, but a haze meant I couldn't really see south very far. The wind was also a lot colder up here and it was too cold to have my lunch, so after photos and a look around I went back down to the lochan and over towards the rocks for a munch.
On the way back down spotted a fantastic cornice, some of which had cascaded down a gully, so even here you need to be careful. The walk back down was done in an hour thanks to that lovely snow and my spikes, I could keep up a good pace till I took the spikes off. The forest part is worse going back down so glad to get back on the track and back to the car.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: The Brack and back

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Interesting. I am planning a walk with two friends a week on Saturday and am thinking of downscaling in terms of location and height given the conditions I encountered in the Monadhliath last weekend. Don't think either of my two buddies would welcome conditions like that and my thighs will probably still be on fire! I had wondered what conditions would be like on Cnoc Coinnich and this one.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland