walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bainloch Hill, been there and seen it

Bainloch Hill, been there and seen it

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bainloch Hill

Date walked: 22/02/2018

Time taken: 1.21 hours

Distance: 4.25 km

Ascent: 232m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After Criffel my afternoon walk was to be a nice easy saunter, indeed.
I drove past the barn to get to other option but up ahead the narrow road was blocked with farm stuff. I chatted to the farmers son then farmer himself neither of whom knew of the un-mapped track. Where I thought it was they said led to their silage tank and not allowed. They were friendly enough and talked me through the forest route and let me park at the barn.
barn.jpg

Start here
The big coos were patrolling this area but although giving me the eye they let me through without incident, a few gates quickly climbed over just in case.
track.jpg

Boring forest road
Boring walk up the forest road until I reached a firebreak beside an old dyke wall.
1st firebreak.jpg

1st firebreak
I followed this in for a while, underfoot ok, but seemed no sign of an opening, it started to descend so I went back.
Further up road another firebreak which seemed to close in quickly so pass again.
follow the light.jpg

Follow that light
Just before the turning area I looked through the trees and could see light at the top. GPS indicated almost in line with top. The trees are planted nice and straight so a much easier walk up through pine needles to the light than fire break stuff.
trig in sight.jpg

Cairn ahead
A steep heather bracken plod for 5 minutes and I could see the cairn. This area looks like cleg heaven later in the year. On top but where are the other 2 cairns?
view from trig.jpg

View from cairn
A walk around the top taking in the beautiful Solway views. Sadly light not good enough for decent snaps.
solway.jpg

Solway
Looking down from the far side a stone dyke was below maybe the same one I followed. Cold and cloudy so then back down the reverse route.
A quick walk and another sub completed but cannot see me rushing back for a second go.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Bainloch Hill, been there and seen it

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 pm

We did this from the other direction through a goat farm, up forest rides, then a wall then cat-flapping under a deer-fence not too far from the summit. We met the owner of the deer/goat farm and he said there is more direct access, missing the farm from the west, up the track at NX881572 and then through forest rides to the top. Was this the way you did it? These wee hills are often difficult to suss out. We sometimes google Hillbagging plus the name of the hill and see where other people have done it....but often you just get a useless comment saying "did it with ****in vile weather"
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Bainloch Hill, been there and seen it

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Sgurr wrote:We did this from the other direction through a goat farm, up forest rides, then a wall then cat-flapping under a deer-fence not too far from the summit. We met the owner of the deer/goat farm and he said there is more direct access, missing the farm from the west, up the track at NX881572 and then through forest rides to the top. Was this the way you did it? These wee hills are often difficult to suss out. We sometimes google Hillbagging plus the name of the hill and see where other people have done it....but often you just get a useless comment saying "did it with ****in vile weather"

Yes that was my starting point but as per report right through the tree plantings at top made easier walking. I think you would have had a more dramatic ascent.
Des
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland