walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spring day on Bengairn Hill

Spring day on Bengairn Hill

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bengairn

Date walked: 21/02/2018

Time taken: 2.31 hours

Distance: 7.52 km

Ascent: 324m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A beautiful blue sky that could almost pass for a spring day.
Once again getting the walk started was my issue. I drove past the turning and was almost at Auchencairn before thinking I shouldn't be this far and turning back. Caused hooting behind as I braked sharply at a very old difficult to read sign ‘Bengairn House 1 mile’.
Start of walk.jpg

Start up this track
Only about half a mile up, it seemed too soon, I passed another dilapidated sign that I thought said Bengairn Hill, slow reverse back the narrow road and turned car, not much parking here but a beautiful view over Bengairn Loch.
The dirt track was churned up but a straightforward walk to a gate. Sprung two roe deer almost on the track, surprised they hadn’t heard me.
Turned right over gate and then followed track left. Straight ahead was all the coos staring so you wont want to go that way.
Foresthill ruins.jpg

Foresthill ruins end of track
This is now a straightforward track to the ruins at Foresthill. It is always sad to see ruined buildings. Indeed from the quantity of stone lying around at one time this area would have homed a few families.
Bengairn to left.jpg

End of track Bengrain on left
Views of Screel Hill at first then the vista opens up showing Bengairn Hill ahead but you don’t see the rig or cairn until the last minutes from my direction of ascent.
The ATV track is very wet but can be followed for a while before I cut left and made a more direct route to the summit. There were excellent views looking back of the route and the Solway beyond. Just the light today creating a lot of haze.
Looking back to the Solway.jpg

Looking back to Solway ruins at the trees
No doubt this could be a different walk once the marshland grasses have grown but today relatively straightforward. Followed some sheep trails and then found a more beaten trail but it goes sideways so straight up again and the trig is in sight.
IMG_6816.JPG

Top in view
Excellent views all around, not a big hill but one where time can be spent soaking it all in. 1.14 from car to top and this could be easily cut by fitter walkers. My chest infection has still not cleared so a few short stops were required.
Big cairn.jpg

Big cairn all those old ruins for stones?
Vista includes snow topped Merrick. Out to the Solway but a haze restricted this. Screel Hill which would be a double objective for some. Indeed most of the local guides I looked at had walks up Screel Hill but Bengairn largely ignored.
Screel behind.jpg

Screel Hill from trig
A pair of ravens call and fly over for a look. Your not getting my cheese and mango chutney roll. On descent flush a Jack Snipe, an infrequent sighting these days.
Return more or less the same way. Surprised to see a huge clutch of frog spawn, wonder how many will make it?
Frog spawn.jpg

Just one of the many batches of frog spawn
I meet the farmer and his 3 dogs, up to round up his 250 sheep for lambing, he was disappointed to hear they were all over the hill. I mentioned I expected to see some red kites but he said not really coming this far south. Ten minutes after leaving him a pair of you know what glided over, mmm.
Straightforward walk good views, why not go for it?
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Spring day on Bengairn Hill

Postby PeteR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for posting. This one is on my to-do list on one of my many visits to and from Englandshire. Looks like quite a nice little walk too. You certainly had the weather for it, that's for sure.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes weather was at its best for February, I hope that you get as good an outing.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Postby iangpark » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Great report Des - seemed like the most species-rich of your recent marilyn endeavours. I considered making a report about our trip up this time last year but it was the worst weather I have experienced on a hill (and was just after I got a new SLR and couldn't figure the thing out!)

Here's an example of the weather; we were all freezing and were practically crawling through the wind to the trig shelter:

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Ian if my weather had been like that I would not have been near the top. If I am doing solo trips my rule is only if you are likely get a view.
Having weather ruined a couple of cameras I only take a lightweight pocket size one and my phone as both can give either great or rubbish alternative shots. Full blame on the user of course.
Ta
Des
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland