walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow much fun!

Snow much fun!

Postby kmai1961 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Route description: Beinn nan Imirean, from Auchessan

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Imirean

Date walked: 23/02/2018

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 705m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had snow much fun today! And have once again been reminded that the “dullest,” “boggiest,” “featureless,” and most “nondescript” hill can be anything but those things, under the right conditions.

Daybreak is definitely getting earlier!! :clap: I’d planned to leave at 7:00am, but was in the car and ready by 6:45, and it was plenty light. I got stuck behind a gritter (ugh) along the top section of Loch Lomond. It was only going about 40mph; I kept to 30mph to avoid being right underneath it as was “spreading.” When he turned off at Crianlarich as well, I decided that a rest stop was in order.

I set off from Auchessan around 8:30am. It was murky, as the weatherpersons are fond of saying, but the sun was due to make a later appearance, and it was to remain settled. The boggy bits underfoot were made easier by an overnight hard frost, and continuing cold temps. It wasn’t long before I was into (onto) snow that was gloriously firm enough to hold my weight, and “sticky” enough so that slipping wasn’t a problem. Score! A dramatic difference from our experience on Meall na Fearna a few weeks ago. I was thoroughly enjoying just being outside in such superb conditions. My only disappointment was that there weren’t any views; the surrounding hills remained under cover. However, there were odd patches of blue sky here and there, and the sun shone weakly through the cloud. I had hope…

my summit's up there somewhere

Not far below the summit was a steep bit, and I stopped partway up it to put on my spikes. But not before unintentionally sliding a few metres—wheee!

the steep bit straight ahead, where I was happy to use my spikes!

here's what the steep bit looked like from the bottom of it...

By the time I reached the summit, the cloud seemed to be dissipating, so I found a spot out of the wind, behind the summit rocks, to sit and contemplate the “view” for a while. I could sort of see Creag Mhor and Heasgarnaich. I knew that Ben Challum was “just over there,” but not from being able to see it! It was very cold, and even though I was bundled up, I soon felt the effects of not moving.

at the summit, Meall Glas hiding behind, and in the cloud

toward the Glen Lochay Munros

I gathered up my things, and started down the hill. As I was descending (following both showshoe prints and ski tracks—I’m not the only one who’s had snow much fun here), I realized that I could now see the top of Ben More! And hey, there’s Meall Glas, too, and a few minutes later, Sgiath Chuill got in on the act. Between running around taking photos in various directions, and bum sliding when the opportunity presented itself, I was having loads of fun, like a kid in a sweetie shop!

hey look -- Ben More!

hey look -- me and Ben More!

and Meall Glas!

Creag Mhor and Heasgarnaich!

and, finally, Sgiath Chuill!

one last look back up at my summit

All too soon I was back down to snow that had become soft, and ground that had become boggy during a very slight temp increase, or perhaps from the warmth of the sun. Another km or two saw me back to the car, just a bit over 4 hours since I’d set off—a much shorter outing than I’d anticipated. With snow cooperation, I’d made good time, even with my top stop and playing on the way down. Beinn nan Imirean, WH might call you “one of the least distinguished Corbetts,” but in my book, you’re an absolute cracker. Thanks for a grand adventure! :D :D :D
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland