walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Y GARN - SNOWDONIA

Y GARN - SNOWDONIA

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, as promised on Saturday ,Lisa and myself set off for a walk, we decided to travel to Snowdonia and tackle a new 3000 footer, Y Garn at 947m. We parked up at the main car park at the end of Llyn Ogwen, it was reasonably quiet as we set off,it was very different on our return.

y garn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was lovely clear day as we set off towards Llyn Idwal.
IMG_4588.jpg
Towards Tryfan
IMG_4586.jpg
Looking across Idwal
We passed around the north of the lake and started the climb
IMG_4590.jpg
Climbing with Tryfan behind
IMG_4596.jpg
Leaving Idwal behind
IMG_4597.jpg
Lisa and the ridge ahead
We were making height quickly and this gave ever changing vistas
IMG_4602.jpg
Ogwen behind yours truly
The way ahead was clear and still quite steep, don't suppose we can get to over 3000 feet easily
IMG_4607.jpg
Ahead
IMG_4609.jpg
Getting there
Our height can be seen from this view back to Idwal
IMG_4618.jpg
Down to Idwal
and the view north to Foel Goch
IMG_4623.jpg
Towards Foel Goch
We were now high enough to see over into the Llanberis valley
IMG_4625.jpg
Llanberis and its mine deposits
IMG_4626.jpg
The ridge to Snowdon
We now aproached the summit and luckily someone followed us up so we had a summit picture of us both, later a group of lads came up while we had a bite to eat, they thought we were quick to beat them up, just got up earlier :lol:
IMG_4629.jpg
Y Garn at 947m
IMG_4633.jpg
Great shot of the lakes below us
IMG_4636.jpg
Snowdon summit from the top
We could see the way ahead,the tarn can be seen below the height of Glyder Fawr
IMG_4637.jpg
Towards Glyder Fawr
We walked across the top until we reached Llyn Cwn where we turned to descend the scree of Devil's Kitchen.
IMG_4641.jpg
Llyn Cwn
IMG_4642.jpg
Devil's Kitchen
IMG_4643.jpg
Still going down
IMG_4647.jpg
Looking back up Devil's Kitchen
We looked across Idwal to Pen yr Ole Wen
IMG_4648.jpg
Across Idwal
Walking around Idwal we could see our ridge high above us
IMG_4653.jpg
Our route earlier
It was a terrific day out in wonderful conditions, good company and superb scenery :D :thumbup:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Y GARN - SNOWDONIA

Postby john923 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Did this circuit the other way round for our first Welsh 3000er many moons ago. Really like your view of the Llyns (IMG_4633) - that's a cracking piccie.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:9
Grahams:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:168   

Postby houdi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 pm

One of my favourite parts of the world. Cwm Idwal is totally gorgeous. I usually combine Y Garn as part of a horseshoe route with Tryfan and Glyder Fach. The Grade 2 scramble on Y Garn's East Ridge is pretty exceptional. Someone told me that Y Garn means 'the dragon' but I think they may have been waffling.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes,love that photo, the colours have come out quite rich. its hard work doing circuits with Tryfan and the Glyders without adding to it. I really like it around this area, everywhere is so clean and crisp, shame about the crowds but after all we are part of them. As for the translation I will ask Seth,a local boy, who sometimes walks with us, sounds right for that area :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 pm

houdi wrote:Someone told me that Y Garn means 'the dragon' but I think they may have been waffling.

I think so too. I'd say it has much the same root as 'Carn' in Gaelic does - ie a big pile of stones.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:272   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:35

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

One site says it means "The cairn of the rock".............dragon sounds better :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby houdi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, dragon does sound better but something to do with stones/rocks seems logical. There are many similarities in the Welsh language and Scots gaelic.
As a keen Scrambler, Snowdonia is like a magnet for me. I try to get there as often as possible even though it takes a good 5-6 hours from Devon. Worth the long drive though.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Garn is just cairn... Ddraeg is dragon...

I love Y Garn (that one) - I think it's just about the best looking mountain in Wales, and certainly the best looking in that valley. You have some lovely llyn pics there :D
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:12 am

Gosh Houdi, Devon's a long way for us to go on holiday :clap: , they are worth it though, especially if you get the weather, we have walked the Carnedds several times in the snow,wonderful (but cold :thumbdown: )Thanks MC for translation :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland