walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

River Beauly in different seasons done the wrong way round

River Beauly in different seasons done the wrong way round

Postby dogplodder » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Route description: River Beauly and Lovat Bridge circuit

Date walked: 10/02/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our intention was to do the River Beauly and Lovat Bridge circuit the way Walkhighlands says, starting just south of Black Bridge. But when we got there the small car park was full and parking elsewhere risked blocking the way for others or getting stuck in mud! So we reverted to the way I'd done the walk many times before, parking near the Lovat Bridge. Except that when we drove down the usual track (turning left immediately after crossing the bridge on the road to Beauly from Inverness) we found we were barred from going to the old parking spot by the river and were directed right and right again to a large parking area by a barn close to the main road.

From there we retraced our steps to the track by the river from where there are good views of the Lovat Bridge.

Lovat Bridge in February and blessed with a rainbow
IMG_4920-large.JPG

This was a regular dog walk for us when we lived on the west side of Inverness but I hadn't been back for a couple of years so it was interesting to see that although access had changed, nothing had changed about the river. Apart that is from the seasonal changes of flora and colour. So for comparison here are some photos from a walk with the dogs a few year ago in October.

Lovat Bridge in October with trees still in full leaf
PA170115c-large.JPG

Inlet with boat where the dogs loved to swim
PA170105-large.JPG

PA020122-large.JPG

PA170113-large.JPG

Birch starting to show autumn colours
PA220117c-large.JPG

Dog on a mission
PA220120-large.JPG

At this point we followed the river, not the track
PA220123-large.JPG

Riverside path
PA220125-large.JPG

Back to February 2018
IMG_4922-large.JPG

IMG_4924-large.JPG

Moira's reflections
27752607_10156061700543788_1182790059761925973_n-large.jpg

View upstream
IMG_4925-large.JPG

Trees in winter
IMG_4926-large.JPG

Beaufort Castle (taken into sun so a poor shot)
IMG_4929-large.JPG

Cruives Lodge
IMG_4930-large.JPG

Crossing the field
IMG_4931-large.JPG

After crossing the field and reaching the trees we met a local walking her dog. She walks her dog in this area every day and said for variety we could take a return path which goes past a quarry and a couple of lochans before joining the minor road back to the Lovat Bridge. We thanked her and said we'd consider it when we had first been to the Black Bridge.

Black Bridge (where we would have started had we found space)
IMG_4933-large.JPG

By the time we had turned back and reached the fork in the path it had clouded over so we were glad we'd done the first half by the river when the sun was shining.

Fork in the path
IMG_4934-large.JPG

WH's route takes the right fork but the local had recommended the left fork so I took a short detour to have a look, while Moira looked to see what was making her boot uncomfortable! Almost immediately I could see the quarry ahead and what with the grey sky, bare earth, mounds of gravel and line of pylons the sight wasn't very compelling to going that way (although it may have been more attactive further on).

Quarry
IMG_4935-large.JPG

So I returned to Moira who had sorted her sock problem and we agreed to take the right fork through the woods which led fairly soon on to a minor road passing through farmland.

A much better sight!
IMG_4936-large.JPG

I'm not an expert on breeds of sheep but thought some of these look like Herdwick sheep, more usually seen in the Cumbrian Lake District.

IMG_4937-largec.JPG

Herdwick sheep in Lake District (not exact comparison as this ewe had just been shorn)
DSC00263-mediumc.jpg

The road led back to the Lovat Bridge but before reaching the bridge passed near where we had parked, beside a large barn and with direct access to the main road.

Parking area beside the barn
IMG_4938-largec.JPG

So that's the River Beauly circuit done the wrong way round... but to be honest I would do it this way again. Parking at the Black Bridge is further to drive and has a lot less space. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: River Beauly in different seasons done the wrong way rou

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 am

My jogging route :D :D :D And I always do this circuit "the wrong way" running from Beauly to Lovat Bridge and then past the barn on the tarmac road to Beaufort Castle, returning along the river. There are a few different options of exploring the area :D

If you visit this corner in summer time, you might spot a pair of grebes diving in the river. They are nesting somewhere nearby and in the last 2 years I often saw them with offspring. Last summer I counted 6 healthy looking, well fed chicks (grebelings??? :lol: ), and the adults are still there so hopefully next year they will have another lot. Surprisingly they didn't leave for winter, I guess this spot is warm enough for them to survive all year. Sadly, I don't have any photos as I don't take my camera with me when I go jogging :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:17 pm

BlackPanther wrote:My jogging route :D :D :D And I always do this circuit "the wrong way" running from Beauly to Lovat Bridge and then past the barn on the tarmac road to Beaufort Castle, returning along the river. There are a few different options of exploring the area :D

If you visit this corner in summer time, you might spot a pair of grebes diving in the river. They are nesting somewhere nearby and in the last 2 years I often saw them with offspring. Last summer I counted 6 healthy looking, well fed chicks (grebelings??? :lol: ), and the adults are still there so hopefully next year they will have another lot. Surprisingly they didn't leave for winter, I guess this spot is warm enough for them to survive all year. Sadly, I don't have any photos as I don't take my camera with me when I go jogging :wink:

I thought about you as we went round and wondered if we'd see you... Thanks for tip off about the nesting grebes. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Looks very pleasant indeed.

Wanting to paddle this at some point! Have you (or you BP) ever visited the AIgas gorge a few miles upsteam? A remarkable place; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/32525-Glen-Gorge-and-River?p=362099#post362099
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Looks very pleasant indeed.

Wanting to paddle this at some point! Have you (or you BP) ever visited the AIgas gorge a few miles upsteam? A remarkable place; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/32525-Glen-Gorge-and-River?p=362099#post362099

Don't know about BP but I've not. Looks a good place as long as you're afloat! :-P
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland