walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

How to catch a man on Grahams :)

How to catch a man on Grahams :)

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Gorm

Date walked: 17/02/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 619m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last year I managed to catch my husband on his Corbetts, but one illusive Graham remained between us. Carn Gorm, the wee hill above Cannich. Kevin used to live in the village, so it's not a surprise that he had been to the top of this hill, not even realizing it was a listed summit. We've been planning a visit to Carn Gorm for a few years, but wanted to do it in winter conditions, as it's only a half-day's walk and just 20 min drive from home. Typical "quickie in the neighbourhood" :lol:
All guides suggest a route from Craskie or from the north (Strathfarrar), but we opted for the easiest approach straight from Cannich. This idea had been explored before by other walkhighlanders, so we didn't invent anything new here. Kevin said he remembered from his previous visits to the hill that it was "boggy moorland everywhere", but I hoped that the recent cold spell froze all the bog solid. We were ready for extensive snow coverage, but got more than we expected :D

Track_CARN GORM CANNICH 17-02-18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route started from the layby just outside Cannich. Walked 500m east along A831 to an open gate, where a boggy track starts up the hillside.
The entrance:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 002.JPG

To begin with, it's easy going up the slope. In summer time this area would be overgrown with bracken, so just as well we came here in winter :D
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 003.JPG

The track follows the edge of the forest, after a short distance it takes a swing to the right, with views down to Strathglass opening up nicely:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 008.JPG

Higher up, the track dives into the birchwoods and becomes quite a boggy adventure, tuft-hopping skills required. We reached a closed gate at about 250m. This one has a board with stalking info on it: official stalking season from 15 sept to 15 feb, good to know we were just past the shooting season :lol:
The track became even more bumpy as it continued up and through younger pine forest, eventually leading to a second gate - or what's left of it. Deer footprints were everywhere and I thought no wonder it's pure stalking country. Indeed, during our outing we saw deer popping out everywhere... We are so fed up with them that we don't bother photographing them any more :lol: :lol:
A single young male posing for Kevin:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 023.JPG

Sad remnants of the second gate. From now on, it's just bog, heather, snow and hard workout!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 011.JPG

Black Panther in white surrounding:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 015.JPG

We continued our climb by following the boggy track for a short distance, but soon gave it up for easier marching on pristine snow... The world was so white as we gained height :D :D Somewhere under that snow are running streams, we heard them but couldn't see them...
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 027.JPG

The higher we climbed, the more pristine the snow, it was like walking in the magic world of vanilla ice cream!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 032.JPG

We aimed for Carn an t-Sionnaich for a short time, but as snow was getting deeper and our progress slowed down, we decided to go straight to the main summit and not waste our time on visiting outlying tops. Having reached the height of about 400m, we stopped for a short snack break. Kevin took the opportunity to play with panoramic option on his camera. At the moment we were still in a small dip created by the stream Allt Coillte, so the views were restricted to the surrounding tops:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 041.JPG

We could see four different tops around us and even in good weather the landscape was confusing. I can imagine that in misty conditions finding the highest bump could be quite a challenge!
Lumpy bumps, bumpy lumps, but which one is the summit?
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 042.JPG

Windfarms!!!! Everywhere we go, there must be wind turbines in sight somewhere!!!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 044.JPG

GPS proved useful in identifying the correct top to aim for and as we walked out onto the higher ground, views opened up to the western side, the edge of Affric hills:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 050.JPG

Panorama:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 057.JPG

Photo below: the right bump :lol: :lol: :lol:
Despite looking high enough, this is not the summit we're looking at, only the top of a shoulder leading to the summit, only 500m in height. The true summit lies further away, another 170m of ascent in knee-deep white stuff!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 058.JPG

We slowed down simply because we were sweating. The snow cover was very deep in places and it meant hard work and occasional getting stuck like raisins in cake. Kevin complained about snow getting under his gaiters. We tried to follow the line of vegetation and in places it worked - at least when I posed for this picture, it seems that the snow is hardly up to my ankles:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 060.JPG

...but the photo is misleading. From the 507m shoulder to the very summit of Carn Gorm it was more swimming in snow than walking :lol: Especially on steeper sections we found the white stuff very unstable. Thankfully, this is a rather benign hill with gently angled slopes most of the time, so no avalanche risk. We giggled and joked all the way up :lol:
Summit in sight!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 062.JPG

A few patches of cloud gathered to the north and west from us, but we were in bright sun for time being and with the white freshness of snow added to the equation... Just fantastic!
Looking west to Affric hills from the last dip before the true summit:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 063.JPG

Lucy's 51st Graham!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 077.JPG

It was a new summit for me, too (84th Graham) but a repeat for Kevin, who couldn't believe he has been caught by a panther :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 103.JPG

So now to the views. Carn Gorm might not be an inspirational hill, but it's nicely situated at the edge of Glen Cannich, with good position just east and south of the big ridges around Loch Mullardoch and Loch Monar. Especially the Strathfarrar Munros can be seen in their full splendour :D In winter condition, as white as it was that day, we simply couldn't stop gazing at the surrounding mountains!
Happy Panther who caught her man by his Grahams :lol: :lol:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 094.JPG

Glen Affric hills:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 068.JPG

The north side of Glen Cannich, Sgurr na Diollaid in the foreground:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 069.JPG

Zoom to the summit of Sgurr na Diollaid:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 087.JPG

Strathfarrar Munros:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 070.JPG

Zoomed:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 083.JPG

Cloud passing over the white slopes:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 081.JPG

Upper Strathglass:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 091.JPG

We spent far too much time on the summit, but as long as we had good light and enough time to spare for the descent, we could linger and admire the white landscape. At some point, we noticed a large cloud carrying a nasty-looking snow shower approach from the west, but it missed us and passed over the other side of Strathfarrar:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 111.JPG

Eventually, we began our descent, not bothering to find our earlier footprints, just running down the pristine snow, sometimes getting stuck in the soft powder :lol: Overall, proper winter fun!
On the way down:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 115.JPG

One last glimpse west to upper Glen Cannich - weather was coming in but we managed to get a hill under the belt without getting caught in the storm!
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 117.JPG

Hopping down the soft snow:
2018-02-17 carn gorm cannich 128.JPG

We returned to the broken gate and retraced our steps through the birchwoods, down to the road. It started raining just as we walked back along the tarmac to the car, we timed our little outing very well :D
It was a true winter wander, maybe not very ambitious but in given conditions last week, it was safer to pick a shorter route rather than risking getting into trouble on snow-covered Munros. I can recommend this Graham as a nice climb for a shorter day, but in warmer times it would be quite wet. Also, in misty conditions, the multitude of lumps and bumps might be confusing. Worth saving for a sunny day, as the surrounding views are breathtaking.
It's been a week since and conditions have changed significantly. Snow is now rock-hard and much easier to walk on (steeper slopes require sharp crampons!). We were out again on Saturday and yesterday as well, so two more stories from me to come, more meowing on mountain tops, more Graham bagging, now on even terms with my other half :wink:
Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: How to catch a man on Grahams :)

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Good for you. I didn't catch up with my other half until my final Graham Stac Pollaidh. Level pegging from now on.....accidents and illnesses permitting. We climbed it on a misty October day, this looks much nicer.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 am

Sgurr wrote:Good for you. I didn't catch up with my other half until my final Graham Stac Pollaidh. Level pegging from now on.....accidents and illnesses permitting. We climbed it on a misty October day, this looks much nicer.

Thank you :D Corbetts and Grahams caught up, now to the remaining 4 Munros between us :D

I don't have plans to finish the lower hills... Too much stuff left down south, with us living near Inverness. But I'd like to get to 100 Grahams and 150 Corbetts at some point in my life. Plus of course the sixty odd Munros left to compleation. In Pinn booked this July :shock: :shock:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:59 pm

Nice pics. Did this one in similar conditions in 2011. Doing the Grahams and Donalds has been a long haul for me. Can't wait to get back to doing lots of Munros.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 pm

mountainsofscotland wrote:Nice pics. Did this one in similar conditions in 2011. Doing the Grahams and Donalds has been a long haul for me. Can't wait to get back to doing lots of Munros.

I can hardly believe it took me 10 years to do this hill, when it's 20 min drive from Beauly :lol:

I'll probably never climb a single Donald since they are all so far away :wink: At the moment, we'd like to concentrate on our final Munros as well.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby gld73 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:32 pm

Not much point in me writing a walk report for my walk up Carn Gorm today, it was so similar to yours! Pretty much the same route (up the track from Cannich rather than the Craskie route, then leaving it at some random point to head more directly to one of the 'false' summits on the way to the real one), plus the same experience of finding myself getting in deep snow and so then sticking to where bits of vegetation poked out so I didn't go thigh deep again .... and fantastic views of the snowy mountains down Glen Affric and Strathfarrar.
Definitely a good hill to do in winter :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland