walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP to bridge 1 mile north of Loch Ordie

CCP to bridge 1 mile north of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Date walked: 26/02/2018

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 20.9 km

Ascent: 316m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Somehow, I seem to have given myself a winter break. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just seems to have happened and today was just my 3rd walk since the end of November. Looking back, I've been doing an annual mileage in the hills of between 1,000 and 1,400 miles per year so maybe I was due a break.

I suppose the theory goes that I should come back refreshed and with a spring in my step - definitely not the case. I've been careful with what I have been eating but without my 2 walks a week the weight has piled on and I now need to lose a stone and a half before June.

Today was the start of the hard work and I headed back to Dunkeld on a quiet Monday morning just before our weather is meant to arrive from Russia promising cold winds and snow. Today was just a normal late February morning with the temperature just above freezing when I set off and by around midday when the sun came out there was just the hint of spring warmth.

I wasn't really bothered about times today (but couldn't resist checking) but for the record I was atMill Dam in 34:31, Raor Lodge in 57:31, the far end of Loch Ordie in 01:32 and my turning point up the glen in 01:45 - all decent times.

I had 5 minutes at the bridge before turning and heading back the way I came. Now I could feel the legs starting to complain and annoyingly the little niggle I had in my right ankle returned when walking over rougher ground so the break hasn't helped with this injury.

I got the feeling my pace was fairly rubbish on the way back and I was tiring which is fairly pathetic and shows the gulf in fitness between now and the end of September when I was feeling really good and setting fast times.

Today was 3hrs 24 mins with an overall average speed of 3.8mph which isn't too shabby but the legs certainly know they have done 13 miles today.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland