walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Top of the Ochils - bluebird on Ben Cleuch

Top of the Ochils - bluebird on Ben Cleuch

Postby denfinella » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 21/02/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 770m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Weather: Sunny with clear air above low level haze, moderate wind on summits, probably just above freezing at the top.
Underfoot: Clear paths throughout - we didn't quite need hands for the steep section out of Mill Glen onto The Law. Lots of unprotected drops around the gorge (standard fare for the southern Ochils!). Snow patches and part-frozen ground above about 500 metres. Almost no bog :D
Notes: A stunning day! Our first trip both to Mill Glen and to Ben Cleuch - and together they made a fantastic, interesting circuit with great views. As the map shows below, our route basically mirrored the WH route except for an small extension at the end (to vary the return route). No navigational difficulties. A midweek wander so nice and quiet.

Ben Cleuch.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Top of the Ochils - bluebird on Ben Cleuch

Postby UrbanExplorer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Twice I have been on the summit of Ben Cleuch this year, both in whiteout conditions, It is nice to eventually get to see some of the views from the highest Ochil.

Nice report with some beautiful photography :D
UrbanExplorer

Munros:48   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:11   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Definella, I was on the Ochils the same day doing the 5 Donald's. It was a great day weather wise. Very quiet, only saw 1 person ascending The Law around 9am when I was going up Kings Seat Hill and 1 coming down Kings Seat hill who had an early start.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Looked good :D . Must return to the Ochils sometime, I've only been up there in awful weather.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby denfinella » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:53 pm

UrbanExplorer wrote:Twice I have been on the summit of Ben Cleuch this year, both in whiteout conditions, It is nice to eventually get to see some of the views from the highest Ochil.

Nice report with some beautiful photography :D

:lol: Thanks!

Guinessman wrote:Definella, I was on the Ochils the same day doing the 5 Donald's. It was a great day weather wise. Very quiet, only saw 1 person ascending The Law around 9am when I was going up Kings Seat Hill and 1 coming down Kings Seat hill who had an early start.

Yes, sunny and quiet... heaven. It was a little busier in Mill Glen, but only saw 3 other people up on the hill, all at the summit. Sounds like a longer day for you!

malky_c wrote:Looked good :D . Must return to the Ochils sometime, I've only been up there in awful weather.

You and UrbanExplorer both! :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland