walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious Glencoe - A Winters Paradise :)

Glorious Glencoe - A Winters Paradise :)

Postby dooterbang » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 24/02/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1000m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday evening and I finished work for 10 days A/L, and not surprsingly the weather looked great for the first 4 days :D . I quickly hatched a plan to head for Assynt, but firstly I would walk Bidean Nam Bian with the Glasgow Hillwalking Group. Afterwards I would head North and take adavantage of the weather window.

Nine of us would be on this walk, which had an International feel with Chinese & Ukranian attending. It was really cold at the car park so we didn't hang about and made our way for SCNL. Apart from the high winds the conditions were similar to when I walked this solo two weeks earlier :)

SCNL

Looking back at ascent route

The route to SCNL would be by its North ridge, I had ascended the West ridge two weeks ago.

Getting higher

SCNL

Some of the group waiting on the ridge proper - it was super windy :shock:

Due care and attention was required as the gusts had the force to knock you off your feet.

Ascending the ridge up to SCNL

Reaching the top of SCNL was brief due to the high winds, so we set off along the ridge and to the summit of BnB.

The route ahead

And off we went, agreeing that it may be best just to summit BnB and retrace our steps and descend into the Hidden Valley via Coire Gabhail.

Once past the steep section the ridge ahead was exposed on both sides for about 15 meteres, the wind was pretty fericious now and again due care was given.

And finally we all stood on the summit, everyone pleased with their efforts but more importantly the majestic views 8)

Having decided not to continue onto the second Munro due to high winds and the awkward descent into the Hidden Vallet we descended BnB's North ridge. Again it was being mindful of the high winds.

Back down the ridge a few had to break through a cornice to get down into the coire, and out of the wind :)

Once lower in the coire we all stopped for lunch before descending into the Hidden Valley. Another fantastic winters walk in Glencoe, it really has been a wonderful winter for getting up high :D

Back at the car park we all said our goodbyes, had been a great walk in good company. My adventure was still ongoing, I was heading straight for Assynt 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Glorious Glencoe - A Winters Paradise :)

Postby larry groo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Fabulous pics... looks like a grand day out indeed.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
larry groo

Re: Glorious Glencoe - A Winters Paradise :)

Postby Jaxter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Smashing 8) 8) Interesting that the winds were much higher further South :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland