walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Feusag, the Stag and the Moon

Creag Feusag, the Stag and the Moon

Postby litljortindan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Date walked: 26/02/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 530m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having enviously looked through various reports the days before Monday I thought I ought to try to catch the end of the good weather and get some nice pictures of my own.
Early start again as I had football on in the evening and so a straight up and down type of walk was called for. I eventually gravitated towards a choice between Glen Affric and Glen Cannich. Never before climbed so much as a stile in either but had done a low level feed the midge walk in Affric and had squelched along a very muddy Loch Mullardochside so I knew at least that each was relatively close by, if a three hour drive counts as close by.
I was thinking of Sgurr na Lapaich in Affric or its smaller neighbour and Creag Feusag in Glen Cannich and left the final decision to when I arrived at Cannich. I opted for Creag Feusag because it would be a lot shorter.
By the time I'd finished faffing about it was 6.30am but I was all set but with slight misgivings about what I could see of the terrain ahead and the unexpectedly leaden skies above. Wriggling up through the crags was out of the question so it was further east up easier ground. Very easy ground as it turned out, with a sort of dried stream bed with flattened grass cutting a swathe through the heather almost all the way up to the snow higher up. The snow was firm enough and easy angled enough for kicking steps instead of putting things on feet.
Pretty cold once exposed on the flat craggy area running out to what is named on the map as Creag Feusag -just a jumble of rocks and crags but what I hoped would also yield decent views along Loch Mullardoch. Well it looked like that on the map and seen from below it looked like it would be too and it felt quite dramatic being there but one that hasn't translated too well in the photos. Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed the jaunt out to the end of the flat area to get that view and, bonus, some sunshine finally hitting the tops to the west.
Then I spotted someone who had clearly also spotted me -the shape of a stag set against the background of the loch below. Took a few snaps and steadied myself for a close up that didn't quite go to plan.
An enjoyable walk but I seem to have been pretty slow. Still, I managed to jog around at the football later so some fitness there for the Spring which is no doubt just around the corner.

ImageDSC05091 by John Little, on Flickr
Not exactly the azure skies I'd hoped for but could be worse.

ImageDSC05110 by John Little, on Flickr
A firth to the east.

ImageDSC05113 by John Little, on Flickr
Up onto Creag Feusag and some sunshine hits some of the tops further west.

ImageDSC05114 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05118 by John Little, on Flickr
A few small crags around the top of the Creag Feusag spur.

ImageDSC05134 by John Little, on Flickr
Intense sunshine to the south but it's ok I still have some sunscreen with me.

ImageDSC05135 by John Little, on Flickr
Showers? There wasn't supposed to be any.

ImageDSC05137 by John Little, on Flickr
A view along Loch Mullardoch.

ImageDSC05140 by John Little, on Flickr
I have been spotted.

ImageDSC05141 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05142 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05143 by John Little, on Flickr
That's great! Now hold still and I'll get a close up...

ImageDSC05144 by John Little, on Flickr
Oh charming.

ImageDSC05149 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05150 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05151 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05153 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking back east from the high point of the Creag Feusag crags.

ImageDSC05167 by John Little, on Flickr
Straight back down to the dam.

ImageDSC05177 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05181 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05185 by John Little, on Flickr
The smile of a warming up body.

ImageDSC05197 by John Little, on Flickr
Wee tree or big crag?

ImageDSC05200 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05205 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05211 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05212 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05216 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05224 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC05238 by John Little, on Flickr
A new area for me to explore a part of.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Creag Feusag, the Stag and the Moon

Postby onsen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Great shots, John. 8)
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:58 am

Naughty, naughty deer!!!

Funny, living so close, I have never been up Creag Feusag, maybe because it's not a listed summit...

We had a similar deer encounter once. Big stag. At first he stood and posed nicely, but by the time my chum got the camera out and took a picture, it turned away and began to poo!!! :lol: We ended up with one very sh**y photo!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:50 pm

onsen wrote:Great shots, John. 8)

Thanks. Not the best morning for photos but good to get one or two.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Naughty, naughty deer!!!

Funny, living so close, I have never been up Creag Feusag, maybe because it's not a listed summit...

We had a similar deer encounter once. Big stag. At first he stood and posed nicely, but by the time my chum got the camera out and took a picture, it turned away and began to poo!!! :lol: We ended up with one very sh**y photo!

It's like being in a spaghetti western.
Creag Feusag more of a bump than anything else and not quite what I was hoping for but not bad views. Hopefully will make further inroads into this area when it is milder.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland