walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg

Beinn Dearg

Postby seadog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Date walked: 21/10/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 24 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, Last Saturday I set off from the car park at Old Blair to climb Stob Dearg after reading trip reports I thought I would take my bike which seemed at the time to be a good idea at the time I new by the reports that the track would be rough but that the freewheel back to the car would make up for it, well as you can see I am nearly 77years old and not all that great on the bike at the best of times, the day was a complete disaster it took me a little over 3 hrs. to get to the Bothy I walked and pushed the bloody bike more than I rode it and I must say before I got there I knew that there was no way I was going onto the hill that day, I had my tea at the Bothy and sat for nearly an hr. before pushing the bike up the hill from the Bothy getting back to the car in 1hr 10 min. overall about 5hrs. But I will return next year but I dont know if I will have the bike.
seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Re: Beinn Dearg

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Good effort anyway seadog,glad you said it was a hard slog with the bike,makes me even more keen to walk all the way :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland