walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hydro bitchin'

Hydro bitchin'

Postby weedavie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 26/02/2018

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1430m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a standard round of the south east corrie, Coire Chaorach. Brilliant fun and ice-axe and crampons were compulsory. But I'd still like to whine. It's a few years since I did this round and yes, it's another corrie that's got a mini hydro scheme in it. That means miles of new access track bulldozed.

In this case I can't really complain it ruins the look of the place. There's industrial forestry and the tracks are just beyond its boundary. There's one here which is actually useful to get round to the ridge and that's a bit seductive. I hate the mess that's been made in every glen into Glen Falloch. This, even though they make things easy. From Derrydarroch, the track up the burn to Beinn Chabhair's really useful. The extension beyond the radio mast towards an Caisteal was a huge relief from a bog-trot. However they are visually intrusive and they're in every glen. They do not seem to be subject to the same restrictions as windfarms.

There's an obscene one at Edinample, a great place to park to get a quiet way in to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin. There was a stunningly beautiful waterfall below the bridge at the parking place. This is what it looks like now.
pic 1 690.jpg

pic2 690.jpg

Ah, screw it all. We'd a great day, this was the view from Ben More.
pic 3 690.jpg

At the Bealach eadar Dha Bheinn we met a guy in shorts, without axe or crampons. He headed slowly up Ben More. I've my doubts about whether he got there. The snow was wonderful but rock hard and the wind was to cut you in two. Re-entering the forest there was this beast of a machine which grabbed a 40 feet tree and felled it in seconds. Seeing its
branches crash acoss the path we waited for a cheery wave from the beast's driver before heading on.

I left a favourite pair of Mountain Equipment Guide gloves in the carpark. If anyone's seen them I'd love to be reunited.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Hydro bitchin'

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

"At the Bealach eadar Dha Bheinn we met a guy in shorts..."

Must have been malky_c :lol:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Alteknacker wrote:"At the Bealach eadar Dha Bheinn we met a guy in shorts..."

If only! Would've given my back teeth to be in the Highlands that particular weekend!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby weedavie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 pm

malky_c wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:"At the Bealach eadar Dha Bheinn we met a guy in shorts..."

If only! Would've given my back teeth to be in the Highlands that particular weekend!

Yes - this winter it's the only place to be! Here's last Friday snowshoeing to Glen Prosen from Driesh.
Driesh snowshoes 690.jpg
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby ankb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:26 pm

This is what the falls once looked like
Attachments
1990 10 07  Waterfall by Ardvorlich.JPG
ankb

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland