walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Icy blasts on Meall Mor

Icy blasts on Meall Mor

Postby rob munbett » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mòr (Moy)

Date walked: 27/02/2018

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 228m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Despite the icy wind and the threat of snow, I decided that a quick drive down the A9 from Inverness for a short morning walk on Meall Mor was a good idea. I parked in lay-by 172 on the south bound carriageway and walked 50m back north towards the entrance to a forest road, almost immediately reaching a T junction. I went to the right, crunching through the new snow, the icy blast making my eyes water. The road was good at first but soon turned into a rougher, frozen rutted track leading up to the coms mast. Just before this, on the left, there was a metal gate through the barbed-wire fence, which saved a bother. There was a good view of the hill from here across the open heather moorland.
P1030854(1).JPG
Over the moorland to Meall Mor
The heather was pretty deep so I was pleased to find a narrow track of sorts heading in the right direction. I followed this and then found a snow and ice covered stream which made for easy walking to just below the rock-faced final ascent.
P1030851(1).JPG
The rocky summit of Meall Mor
I skirted round to the right to avoid the iced-up rock on to a nice easy ramp and came across the summit cairn very quickly.
P1030852(1).JPG
At the summit cairn looking East
By this time, it was five-layer cold so, after a couple of quick photos and a look around, it was a speedy descent to the warmth of the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by rob munbett on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Icy blasts on Meall Mor

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 pm

One for the purist???
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland