walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Green Hill Wanlockhead a short fun circuit

Green Hill Wanlockhead a short fun circuit

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Green Hill

Date walked: 09/03/2018

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 7.6 km

Ascent: 350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A cracking day forecast sun and blue skies . Where can I go locally with a chance of light snow on hills? I opted for a trip to Wanlockhead to do the sub 2000/Marilyn, Green Hill, but to include the short ridge walk in full. Some people ticking boxes will be up and down to Green Hill in an hour or less but what a mistake. On a day like today, it is about soaking it in, the 360 degree views from the ridge were top drawer.
Wanlockhead.jpg

Wanlockhead village
I love these rolling hills but I particularly enjoy the drive up to the village of Wanlockhead. The hills are in close proximity, they look way bigger than they should and at the right time of year you can watch prospectors panning for gold in the stream, but none today. The colours are superb and there is snow on them hills. Passed some partridge, like the sheep not bothered by the car.
It helps that this is the highest occupied village in Scotland so saves you a lot of effort.
Parked beside the visitor centre which does not open for another 2 weeks so no coffee and cake later. Another car pulls up, they are heading up Lowther where the snow is heavier and clouds covering the tops, not sure they are equipped for it.
I head back up the road and cut in at the white cottage then follow the snow covered ATV track up to Black Hill.
Green Hill.jpg

Green Hill
The snow is surprisingly soft in places so early fun playing identify the animal tracks in the snow, 3 main options: sheep; deer or dogs. Already good views looking back of the village, Lowther & Leadhills.
Lowther hills.jpg

Lowther Hills without cloud cover
From Black Hill there is a fence but slightly further on the ATV track is a more direct route to Green Hill, as per my GPS.
Green Hill is the tick box but it has neither a trig or cairn that I could see and does not appear on OS 1:50 maps but does on 1:25, strange. 31 minutes to here.
Stood Hill stone.jpg

Stood Hill stone beside my poles
Walked about the small plateau and GPS confirmed height. It is only 1 metre higher than the next point, Stood Hill, on which I took a bearing and headed across. At its highest point I came across this rock/stone? Is this the beginnings of a cairn?
Follow the fence.jpg

Fence navigation reassurance if required
The next ridge section is straightforward but in poor weather there is the bonus of a fence to follow to Shieling rig, then a left turn and up and down to Glenaber Hill. Some interesting snow patches to sink into but all added to the fun.
Glenaber hill on left.jpg

Fence to Shieling Rig, Glenaber Hill on left
Although the Lowthers were getting cloud my ridge remained clear and the views were rewarding all the way along. Absolute silence apart from the odd raven calling.
Snow fence.jpg

Still some deep snow
From Glenaber I did not follow the fence but descended northwards to reach the Southern Upland Way track. On this side the snow was still backed up and the SUW was deep in parts although there were some footprints going the other way, presumably following the SUW to Sanquhar.
SUW.jpg

Southern Upland Way
There are plenty of grouse butts around but not one bird to be seen or heard, maybe they were all shot in the autumn.
I left the track and took a more direct line across the grass down to the bridge. Good views of Sowen Dod which I will include next time I am here.
Sowen Dod.jpg

Sowen Dod
On the track coming from the village I spot 3 figures, lo and behold the ones from the car park. They had found the Lowthers too unfriendly so walked down the track to undertake my route in reverse.
I gave them a description of my route and timings just in case. Just 1 hour 40 min to here, a short stroll.
Mining heritage.jpg

Mining Heritage
Now simply follow the SUW back to the village. On the hills to my left a male hen harrier was strafing the heather, beautiful grey body and black wingtips. A very endangered bird, indeed my first sighting since the Uists a couple of years ago, so a bonus for the walk.
Take time to take in the industrial mining origins of the of the village, plenty of stuff around apart from people, all the villagers must be hiding indoors. Maybe they are all in the graveyard.
Overall a short ridge walk but one I would fully recommend, fantastic views and good fun.

Time: 2 hours 15min.
Ascent: 350m
Distance: 7.6k
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Green Hill Wanlockhead a short fun circuit

Postby PeteR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 pm

It's good little hill this and you got some great views back to the Lowthers :D

Always feel it's a bit of a strange village though........always happy to make it out alive when I'm there :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:31 pm

I agree lol, apart from the other walkers I only heard voices from inside an old caravan but did meet an old lady back at the car park who recited tales of the ones that liked a drink or three, decided not to head to the pub!!! But I still have some unfinished business with these hills so be back soon.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby iangpark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I enjoyed this little hill a lot too Des, not a difficult one from most angles but some very good views. That first photo of Wanlockhead is spectacular!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland