walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No igloos, only an author and poor otter by the roadside

No igloos, only an author and poor otter by the roadside

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Route description: Daviot Wood circuit, Daviot

Date walked: 02/03/2018

Distance: 13.5 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Red weather warnings not to travel, schools closed, igloos built, drivers stuck on main roads in south of Scotland and much of England, villages cut off in Easter Ross.... but here in Inverness we barely had enough to make a snowman. Even higher up in Daviot woods there was only a skiff. To prove it here's a walk we did on 2nd March when the rest of the UK was still digging itself out of the chaos inflicted by the combined force of the Beast from the East and Storm Emma.

The idea was to do without the car. But to shorten our circuit Pete dropped us off at the top of Milton of Leys, where we started along the track over the moor and into Bogbain woods.

Track from Milton of Leys
IMG_5075-largec.JPG

At the first junction you take the path to the right. Left leads to the A9 and doesn't go anywhere further so you have to come back, as I once discovered.

Right at the fork
IMG_5076-largec.JPG

A bit to the right of the path is a small lochan, fed by a stream. My dogs, being labradors, always went in there. Without fail.

IMG_5078-largec.JPG

What snow there was on the track was well trodden and icy so we put on microspikes, which are ideal for conditions like these.

Donning the spikes
IMG_5079-largec.JPG

Three or four years ago there was a bush fire here that spread over quite a wide area. There's no sign of the damage now, showing how quickly nature recovers.

IMG_5080-largec.JPG

From Bogbain we followed the track southeast into Daviot woods, where there are waymarkers on paths radiating out from the visitor centre off the A9, a little north of Daviot.

IMG_5082-largec.JPG

Looking back there should have been a view north to Ben Wyvis but its snow-covered slopes were barely visible against the grey sky.

View north
IMG_5085-largec.JPG

The sign pointed along General Wade's road, which we didn't take
IMG_5086-largec.JPG

We ignored a couple of paths coming in from the left, although one of them would have taken us down to the village of Daviot more quickly than the one we took. Our route went round the quarry and we could hear the sound of machinery as our path descended to join a minor road where we turned left for Daviot. Only this part of our route was on part of the shorter circuit WH has given a description of.

On minor road leading to Daviot
IMG_5087-largec.JPG

We took a left turn through some houses and headed along the road to the church.

Daviot church
IMG_5089-largec.JPG

In the 1930s the author Alistair MacLean's father was the minister of this church. I only know this because Alistair MacLean was at school with my father and shared a desk with him in English - where my dad claimed he got better marks for his essays than Alistair did! Like my dad, MacLean served in the Royal Navy and his first book "HMS Ullyses" was based on his WW2 experiences which my dad said gave a more accurate picture of life on the N.Atlantic convoys than that portrayed in "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat. MacLean was a prolific writer with some of his books made into films and even now "Where Eagles Dare" and The Guns of Navarone" still occasionally appear on TV. But any thoughts my dad might have missed a chance there are tempered by knowing Alistair died an alcoholic in tax exile. Not everything is as it seems.

IMG_5090-largec.JPG

From the church we walked past the new houses built in the dip beside the A9 and which from driving past I always think can't be a very peaceful place to live. But walking on the far side of them I wasn't too aware of traffic noise or even that the A9 was there. This road leads on to the A9 where we waited for a gap in the traffic to cross to the other side. We then walked along the grass verge to the junction with the B851 signed to Croy, where we turned right.

Hills south of Daviot from A9
IMG_5091-largec.JPG

A short distance along the B851 we came across a dead otter at the side of the road. Well I think it was an otter but being in a very deceased state I didn't want to examine it too closely. It looked like it had been hit by a car and was possibly twisted from the impact and was partially covered by snow. I've only ever seen otters in or at the water's edge and there wasn't any body of water here, but I gather they do move away from water too.

Sad casualty at side of road
IMG_5092-largec.JPG

We turned right off our road into The Dairy, which was once a working dairy farm and is now run as a restaurant and holiday apartments, where we had a bowl of soup, coffee and cake.

Pit stop for lunch
IMG_5094-largec.JPG

A little east of The Dairy this large house is a 5 star B & B which I'm sure is deluxe inside but there's a large pylon behind it and even looking out from the front doesn't have much of a view. Of course these things are relative. Have you noticed the way folk on programmes like 'Escape to the Country' rave about the wonderful view from the window and all you can see is a field of grass?

5 star B & B
IMG_5095-largec.JPG

The road passes a farm track to the left and then a road to the left, which is where we turned towards the hamlet of Nairnside.

Log house at Nairnside
IMG_5098-largec.JPG

No speed restriction here
IMG_5100-largec.JPG

IMG_5101-largec.JPG

Inverness and Beauly Firth
IMG_5102-largec.JPG

The day we did this walk was grey and overcast but yesterday I was up there again walking the dog and you can see the difference a blue sky and sunshine make.

IMG_5150-largec.JPG

IMG_5152-largec.JPG

Ben Wyvis and Meall Mor
IMG_5153-largec.JPG

At the junction with the road to the Culloden battlefield we crossed over and continued down an old road beside Brae Burn which is now blocked to traffic at the bottom, but it's fine if you're walking. I like finding the old roads that were used before all the new houses were built.

IMG_5104-largec.JPG

It's quite satisfying to get a decent walk without using the car (well hardly). Our round trip was 13.5km so next time we'll start at the house and see how much further it is without a lift to Milton of Leys!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: No igloos, only an author and poor otter by the roadside

Postby Sgurr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:29 pm

We discovered The Dairy about 6 or 7 years ago, and it is now a regular pit stop on any journey to the far north but I hadn't realised what good walks are to be had near it. Nice report.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Nice, especially in the snow. Somewhere most of us just fly past at 60-70. I've recently found some lovely heathlands near me (Surrey) so close to the big roads of the A3 and M3, but so peaceful and lovely.

Shame about the poor otter. I'm desperately trying not to make a joke about roadkill curry, as its in very poor taste. You know the one, about the Tarka Masala. Its like a Tikka Masala, but a little 'otter... (sorry) :oops:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 am

Nice wee walk around one of my old stomping grounds. I lived in Croy in the late 80s when it had just two streets. Some great woodland walks around there for sure. Probably still a few of my forts in the woods too! :D

First (and only) time I ever made the school football team. When I joined the school there they finally had 7 pupils to make the 7 a side league possible. :lol:

We did have a computer per child and a satellite weather uplink though. For the 80s it was incredible.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Sgurr wrote:We discovered The Dairy about 6 or 7 years ago, and it is now a regular pit stop on any journey to the far north but I hadn't realised what good walks are to be had near it. Nice report.

In new hands now but food still good. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Shame about the poor otter. I'm desperately trying not to make a joke about roadkill curry, as its in very poor taste. You know the one, about the Tarka Masala. Its like a Tikka Masala, but a little 'otter... (sorry) :oops:

Good one! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Familiar stuff - Most of the walk to the west of the A9 is regular running territory for me (when I'm in Inverness at least), and I do like the Dairy as well. Probably one of the best parts of the route is when you drop down to Westhill from Nairnside - one of my favourite views up the Beauly Firth from there. I think if it's clear you can just about pick out Slioch.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 pm

You are so lucky living in this environment. I'm pinning my hopes on my son, who says he's going to move up there shortly (and have a room for me in his house :roll: ).

Re the author: I read all Alistair McLean's books as a teenager, and absolutely loved them. I'd no idea he'd died an alcoholic - sad end to a huge story-telling talent.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby gld73 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:07 pm

This will be a nice route to try from my house, the Daviot Woods circuit is my running route, but I've never thought about crossing the A9 and heading down through Nairnside to make a good walking circuit - I'll give it a go soon :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Nice wee walk around one of my old stomping grounds. I lived in Croy in the late 80s when it had just two streets. Some great woodland walks around there for sure. Probably still a few of my forts in the woods too! :D

First (and only) time I ever made the school football team. When I joined the school there they finally had 7 pupils to make the 7 a side league possible. :lol:

We did have a computer per child and a satellite weather uplink though. For the 80s it was incredible.

Rural schools are the best! :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 pm

malky_c wrote:Familiar stuff - Most of the walk to the west of the A9 is regular running territory for me (when I'm in Inverness at least), and I do like the Dairy as well. Probably one of the best parts of the route is when you drop down to Westhill from Nairnside - one of my favourite views up the Beauly Firth from there. I think if it's clear you can just about pick out Slioch.

Not done that - on a clear day must have a look. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Alteknacker wrote:You are so lucky living in this environment. I'm pinning my hopes on my son, who says he's going to move up there shortly (and have a room for me in his house :roll: ).

Re the author: I read all Alistair McLean's books as a teenager, and absolutely loved them. I'd no idea he'd died an alcoholic - sad end to a huge story-telling talent.

Can happen to anyone, but fame and fortune probably don't help. :?
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:02 pm

gld73 wrote:This will be a nice route to try from my house, the Daviot Woods circuit is my running route, but I've never thought about crossing the A9 and heading down through Nairnside to make a good walking circuit - I'll give it a go soon :D

We're so well off for walking/running routes living here. :D
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland