walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Damp No More - Beinn Damh in winter

Damp No More - Beinn Damh in winter

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 25/02/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 900m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Damp

Well, that's what we always called it, thanks to the conditions prevailing the couple of times we'd made the summit. Persistent rain, more like a Scottish summer than the winter conditions we hoped for.

This time, though, conditions looked perfect for a winter ascent of this shapely mountain on the south side of the legendary Torridon glen.

This year's annual winter trip to the Scottish Highlands had finally come around, and Steve, Nigel and I were in our beloved North West. What made it even more exciting was that the forecast was pretty decent, for the first few days at least, there'd been plenty of snow a week or so before, and since then regular freeze/thaw cycles. That snow should, therefore, be nice and firm.

Staying at Gerry's Hostel as always, we were out a little later than planned thanks to an impromptu late night with a bunch of marine biologists. It was mid-morning by the time we'd pulled up near the Loch Torridon Hotel, and set off through the lovely Scots Pines which clad the lower slopes. Though the air temperatures were low, the sun was shining strongly, and by the time we came out onto the open hillsides we needed to lose a layer or two and have a drink. Its a rare thing to be sweating on a Scottish Hill when wearing just a base layer.

The views over the glorious Glen Torridon were sublime, the famous giants, Beinns Alligin, Liathach and Eighe were dominant, their higher slopes clad with glistening snow.

The way onward led us up towards the bealach between the northern and middle tops, but we decided to vary the route slightly by taking the broad ridge on the other side of the corrie of Toll Bhan direct to the middle summit at 868m. The lower slopes are often boggy here, though the path basically good, but today all the damper sections were frozen solid, making progress fast. Except, that is, for the odd moment when we found ourselves tottering over sheets of rock-hard ice before regaining the grassier ground.

After crossing the burn leaving Toll Ban, hidden as it was beneath a thick white coat of crusted snow, we started our climb up Glac Bhuidhe. Here we found a perfect rock table, and used it as an excuse for elevenses with a view. Torridonian sandstone is a wonderful type of rock, there's something so tactile about it, and it is so distinctive, so sitting on it is always a pleasure. A cup of hot soup and a few snacks inside us, and it was time to start the main part of the climb. We skirted the corrie and aimed for the ridge on a diagonal, zig-zagging up the steep slopes. The ridge itself was broad, with those typical Torridonian ledges higher up, none of which gave us any difficulty as the ridge narrowed towards the first summit.

Above the steepest ledge, bypassed on the right, we came out onto the summit slopes. Ahead of us was a shining sheet of perfect névé snow, leading up to the top of this subsidiary summit. Time to get out the ironmongery, and soon we were stumbling about putting on crampons, always a moderately entertaining few minutes on the first day of a winter trip.
Ice axes now in hand, we headed on upwards. The slope was of a modest enough angle, with just a short final steepening to the cairn itself. As we came over the top, the views opened out in a breathtaking panorama that stopped us dead. In front of us lay the hills of the west, layer upon layer of snow-capped mountains, and behind them the sea, calm and still on this windless day.

Ahead, the ridge looked sublime. Taking care to avoid the corniced edge, we followed the broad white road ahead of us and over another top, stopping often to take in the amazing views. This was what its all about, that rare winter day where the sky is blue, the wind is but a faint breath, and the snow is firm and making those wonderful squeaking noises underneath your crampon points.

After a bealach the ridge narrowed, and the snowy line was only a few feet wide, though you could avoid it on the rocks to the right. The final climb started the calves burning a little, as usual having a camera gives me a great excuse for the odd breather.

We pulled over a final steepening and found ourselves on the summit. What a place this is. Just beyond the cairn the cliffs drop away vertically into Coire an Laoigh, so it feels as if you are perched on the edge of nowhere. To the north, the magnificent hills of Torridon are dominant and unmistakable, to the east some of my favourite mountains march through the Coulin Forest, and to the south the lines of the hills seemed to disappear into infinity.

Click image for panorama

What's more, there was barely a breath of wind, and we were able to sit comfortably in just thin layers, enjoying the sunshine, whilst we ate our lunch. Somehow I manage to spill half of my tomato soup all over the place, making the summit look like a murder scene, but otherwise all was good with the world.

I'm not sure how long we spent on the summit, but we were in no hurry. Its so rare that the summit isn't a wild and wind-torn place from which you simply turn and run for shelter, that we made the most of it and spent time relaxing. Eventually we tore ourselves away and started back down. The plan was to return the same way to the 868m top, then keep along the main ridge to the bealach and back down to the path. We hoped to link snow patches together for as long as possible, as we'd seen the drop from the bealach would need the crampons on and didn't want the faff of taking them on and off unless we had to.

By now the light was softening slightly as the afternoon pressed on. The views were to die for. Crossing the lower top again, we kept near the edge, but away from any potential cornice fracture line, occasionally having to stumble through short bouldery bits with our spikes still on.

Click image for panorama

A few steeper bits, where we stuck quite close to the edge to take advantage of the snow, led us to gentle slopes above the bealach. Ahead lay the northern tops of Meall Gorm and Sgurr na Bana-Mhoiraire, but we decided to leave them for another day.

The drop from the col was quite steep, and we took an angle to allow us stay on snow for as long as possible. My injured knee was playing up descending the steeper bits with crampons on, but fortunately it wasn't long before we stopped and lost the crampons, as we descended into the chilly shade of the hill. The hills were still looking over us as we crossed the moorlands and back to the path through the fragrant pines.

As a first day on the hill at the start of our week, this would take some beating. We knew the Beast from the East was due to hit Britain mid-week, but hoped to get another day in before then. For now, then, our priority as we reached the car was to cross the road and enter the warm and cosy surrounding of the Torridon Inn, which has changed hugely since our last visit some years ago. A contented end to an outstanding day on the hill.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Damp No More - Beinn Damh in winter

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Superb that you managed to get up there on that perfect weekend :D
Beautiful report Mal
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby dav2930 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Looked a perfect winter's day and a fine hill to be on. What a superb set of photos. :clap: Love the ones of Beinn Alligin in particular as we were there ten days later - I remember admiring Beinn Damh! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm

What a beautiful day you had and superb photos. Feeling very jealous as we were there last February when there was no snow so have been meaning to go back in the proper winter conditions.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 pm

I had a feeling this was coming - no doubt the first of many bright, sunny wanders from the NW. Despite my jealousy, I'm looking forward to more of this :D . Looked like a fantastic day to be out - some great patterns in the snow, and precisely the kind of conditions that always con me into thinking winter is fun :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 pm

WHAT a day! It seems like it was just about the most perfect day of the year weatherwise so far in the Highlands. And no, I'm not a bit envious!

I was up there in April 2016, and I thought we had pretty reasonable weather - but nothing like this.

Some absolutely stunning pics, especially the panos - brilliant viewed on a big screen.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks folks

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Superb that you managed to get up there on that perfect weekend :D
Beautiful report Mal

Somehow we lucked out for the second year running!

dav2930 wrote:Looked a perfect winter's day and a fine hill to be on. What a superb set of photos. :clap: Love the ones of Beinn Alligin in particular as we were there ten days later - I remember admiring Beinn Damh! :)

Cheers. Beinn Alligin always looks superb.

Cairngorm creeper wrote:What a beautiful day you had and superb photos. Feeling very jealous as we were there last February when there was no snow so have been meaning to go back in the proper winter conditions.

Ta. Plenty of years in the past when we saw no snow, and the crampons never got used.

malky_c wrote:I had a feeling this was coming - no doubt the first of many bright, sunny wanders from the NW. Despite my jealousy, I'm looking forward to more of this :D . Looked like a fantastic day to be out - some great patterns in the snow, and precisely the kind of conditions that always con me into thinking winter is fun :lol: .

Cheers. Not too many, but yes, there's more...

Alteknacker wrote:WHAT a day! It seems like it was just about the most perfect day of the year weatherwise so far in the Highlands. And no, I'm not a bit envious!

I was up there in April 2016, and I thought we had pretty reasonable weather - but nothing like this.

Some absolutely stunning pics, especially the panos - brilliant viewed on a big screen.

Thanks. Seems from other reports there were a few of us on the hills that day, and we saw more folk on BD than on any other winter walk north of the Great Glen.... which means about 8.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Tremendous! Hard to think of a better place to be in conditions like that. Wow.

Mal Grey wrote:Ahead lay the northern tops of Meall Gorm and Sgurr na Bana-Mhoiraire, but we decided to leave them for another day.

A fun thing for a half-day, or if higher tops are in clag: from the Torridon, take the shore track to West Lodge, go up the NW ridge of SnB-M (interesting route finding through the rock bands) and down the normal path.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Amazing weather, great hill and excellently photographed. Ben Damp of the Wet coast no more indeed.

It is sometimes small details like your description of donning of crampons and bumping toes against hidden boulders that can bring a report to life especially when the weather is so good that you would otherwise forget about the actual walking if you only had the photos and a description missing out those incidentals to go by. Great stuff!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

jmarkb wrote:Tremendous! Hard to think of a better place to be in conditions like that. Wow.

Mal Grey wrote:Ahead lay the northern tops of Meall Gorm and Sgurr na Bana-Mhoiraire, but we decided to leave them for another day.

A fun thing for a half-day, or if higher tops are in clag: from the Torridon, take the shore track to West Lodge, go up the NW ridge of SnB-M (interesting route finding through the rock bands) and down the normal path.

Thanks, that sounds like a great alternative to being on the high tops.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:39 pm

litljortindan wrote:Amazing weather, great hill and excellently photographed. Ben Damp of the Wet coast no more indeed.

It is sometimes small details like your description of donning of crampons and bumping toes against hidden boulders that can bring a report to life especially when the weather is so good that you would otherwise forget about the actual walking if you only had the photos and a description missing out those incidentals to go by. Great stuff!

Thanks mate.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Anne C » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Absolutely fantastic photos - what a superb day and conditions you had to enjoy this incredible hill! :clap: One of my favourites but never seen it under snow.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby ancancha » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 am

Fabulous 8)
Well written and photographed :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dooterbang » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Great report! Great views!

Not done this yet but I want to now - cheers :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland