walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - first Munro

Ben Lomond - first Munro

Postby pruney84 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 25/09/2010

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 975m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally got round to climbing my fist munro and couldn't have asked for a better day weather wise for it.

Left home at 6pm with my dad and sister and drove up to rowardennan leaving to start the walk at 8.15.
It was quite cool still at this point so wrapped up and started through woodland track to the tourist route before catching our first glimpse of the challenge that lay ahead.
100_1695.JPG

It was such a clear day and we could see for miles all around us. The going wasnt too bad although steep in places but the reward was some great views especially over to The Cobbler of which we got some good photos.
100_1708.JPG

100_1701.JPG

On reaching the Sron Aonaich Ridge the going got alot more gradual and easier for a bit and we were able to enjoy the views, as we started fairly early the path wasnt so busy at this point. When we got to the steeper bit of ascent before the summit we were finding it a bit tougher but just took our time knowing we were nearly there. When we got to the top it was windy and a bit colder but we were all overjoyed to have made it in a little over 2 and a half hours. The views around again were absolutely stunning especially down to the Loch
100_1737.JPG

100_1735.JPG
Summit...Woohoo!

We had the summit to ourself the whole time which i guess wont happen all that often on days like this so made the day even better. We had been swithering over whether to go down the Ptarmigan ridge way or not on the way up but decided not to bother on this occasion just incase. We probably wouldnt have got a better day to try it but never mind there's always next time. After a lunch stop in a sheltered area round the corner we descended by the tourist route again which by now was living up to its name. Couldnt believe how busy it was and we must have passed close to 500 people heading up the way. So glad that we left earlier after seeing this.

A great and enjoyable day was had and can't wait to climb more mountains and munro's in the future :D
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Lomond - first Munro

Postby mtliddle85 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi pruney

Ive also just done my first munro and have to admit its a great feeling. Report reads well and you have gotten some great pics.

Happy climbing in the future.
mtliddle85
Mountaineer

Munros:7   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Nice report. Well done on your first munro. Many more to follow :D
monty

Postby Cuillin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Well done on doing your first Munro and I'm sure you'll find it will always be special to you, no matter how many hills you ascend in Scotland. :D Hope you enjoy the next 282 Munros as much.

That's quite a feat getting the Ben Lomond summit to yourself!! :shock:
Cuillin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Postby skuk007 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Well done pruney, I would recommend the Ptarmigan route down. Once past the easy scrambly bit off the summit it's a great walk down. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby pruney84 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:22 am

Hey guys thnks for the replies, kinda wishing i did go down ptarmigan nw bt theres always next time i guess.
pruney84
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 am

hya pruney

well done on your first Munro, there's nothing wrong with your route, you walk where ever the wind blows 8)

Many more will follow, good luck, you'll find your own way....
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby jwramsay » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Ben Lomond:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnJsIh1yok[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:8
Grahams:4   Donalds:3

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Well done on your first munro and some great pics. This was our first munro too and we also had a glorious day. At the top there must have been close to 30 people having picnics! Some of the finest views I have witnessed so far espcially going down via the circular route. It would be well worth a second trip!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Creeno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:59 pm

Well done pruney84, great pictures, Ben Lomond was my third Munro, although I didn't get the weather you got, couldn't see a thing when I reached the summit, :D :D :D
Creeno
Mountaineer

Munros:203   Corbetts:15
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland