walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Geary a simple hill with a history lesson thrown in

Ben Geary a simple hill with a history lesson thrown in

Postby desmondo1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Geary

Date walked: 13/03/2018

Time taken: 1.16 hours

Distance: 4.51 km

Ascent: 217m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Can't believe nobody has published a short walk report, every hill deserves one, so here is the 1st one.

After this morning's walk Mrs B was more interested in her art so I looked for a short hill for the afternoon and within 5 miles was the Sub2000 Ben Geary, perfect. A simple, short, uncomplicated walk which ended with the bonus of some history that I was not expecting.
the start.jpg

The start
As I drove closer, I could see a standing stone/cairn some distance from the mast. I knew the mast was the top alongside the trig so I was intrigued.
From the start it is a simple NW via track towards Ben Halistra which then goes all the way to the summit.
looking back to the school.jpg
Looking back to the small school

I parked in front of the 20mph sign at the top of the hill from the school, a small substation and stile to get you started.
mast.jpg

Track to mast
At times it was very wet in places but it is a short walk so no grumbles. As you climb the top of the mast shows itself from time to time. Over to my right the Calmac ferry from Uig heading to Lochmaddy creates a good v wave.
Finally once at the summit go round the back of the mast to the trig, 26 minutes from the start, short even at my pace.
Trig western isles background.jpg

Trig Western Isles on Horizon
There are excellent views across the Minch to the Western Isles.
Biod an Artair.jpg

Biod an Athair
The vista includes the crags from this mornings walk, Biod an Athair, stand out sharp angles.
MacLeods tables.jpg

MacLeods Tables
MacLeods Tables which may be on the agenda later in the week also feature.
From here I can see the mysterious structure, checking the map it is marked as a cairn. A bit more exercise required.
IMG_7053.JPG

Fence to cairn
Simply follow the fence line until just before the structure, where the top barbed wire has been cut to allow you to cross without damage. The following 150 metres was probably the hardest of the walk, sinking knee deep into the heather and moss.
20180313_151716.jpg
Apologies better snap would not resize so poor selfie instead

Cairn
As I got closer I could see that indeed it was a cairn not a standing stone and when I went around the other side there was a plaque.
plaque.jpg

MacLeod plaque
It is a memorial to the MacLeod blacksmith who was killed by the MacDonald’s from Trotternish way during the battle of Waternish. The views over the sea aside this moor is a bleak place to die. A few moments reflection.
IMG_7057.JPG

Loch Bay
The views open up Loch bay itself, Waternish & Stein.
Walked back to the mast, a round trip detour of .7 miles, then followed the same route back.
A simple small hill but I enjoyed this short outing. So all you MacLeods go and visit some of your history.
Ready for a beer in the Stein Inn.

Wildlife: sparse today meadow pipit, hoodie & buzzard.
Time: 1.16
Ascent: 217m
Distance: 4.5km
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Ben Geary a simple hill with a history lesson thrown in

Postby thepigguy » Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Just come back down after a blustery trip up. Good tip about the MacLeod blacksmith's cairn - added interest to a decent walk. Thanks.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Postby desmondo1 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:14 pm

That's good I hope that you had some good views as well.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby bar72 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:37 am

thanks for all your reports. staying at Kinloch campsite for a few days so these sub2ks are worth exploring 8)
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland