walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP to bridge 1 mile north of Loch Ordie

CCP to bridge 1 mile north of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Date walked: 15/03/2018

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 20.9 km

Ascent: 338m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A week ago it was a winter wonderland - today, the snow has nearly all gone making it a lot easier to reach the car park at the start of the walk.

Set off just before 7am, a few degrees above zero and pretty windy even on the lower ground.

My pace was half decent, reaching Mill Dam in 34:56, Raor Lodge in 58:00, the bridge at the end of Loch Ordie in 01:33 and my turning point in 01:45.

Heading along Loch Ordie with the strong wind coming down the loch was hard going and very cold. Last week was a first, seeing Loch Ordie completely frozen, today was probably the choppiest I have ever seen it. The wind and waves had created a wall of ice at the edge of the loch with the waves shooting through holes in the ice.

A bit of chocolate, ear piece in and the return leg was underway. A bit muddy above Loch Ordie but nothing dramatic.

Speed on the way back was decent so I finished with a moving average of 3.8mph.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland