walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan Ridge

Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan Ridge

Postby Dunfie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 19/10/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Its my first walk report but thought it worthwhile to mark my son's first Munro. We decided to go up the tourist route and back down the Ptarmigan ridge as generally a circular route is so much more fun.

The forecast was very good although a bit chilly so we were realy looking forward to the challenge ahead. First View on the Walk.

Cameron at the plaque as we worked out way through the pines.

The views were magnificent all day long but here is a view West down to the loch.

The Cobbler just coming into view on the way up - we ended up with literally dozens of photos of The Cobbler - I'm sure most people do the same on days like this.

The long slog - it was starting to get a bit nippy so extra layers were starting to go on.

Views South over the Islands

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin. This was just before we turned the corner to the summit.

First Munro for the wee fella. 8) We didn't hang around as it was very cold and breezy at the top.

View back to the summit from the path to the Ptarmigan Ridge

Lovely views of The Cobbler and Ben Narnain

Even with all the lovely weather we still managed to experience a short flurry of snow
Last edited by Dunfie on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Ben Lomond and Ptarmigan Ridge

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Well done on the wee man climbing his 1st munro,always good to get them interested early,some nice pics you have there,look forward to more pics of you and your boy on your travels :) :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:32 am

Congratulations to Cameron - more to come I hope. I like the last pic - atmospheric. Funnily enough this was my elder son's first munro and my younger son's second munro - but in spring/summer also down ptarmigan but I''d think Cameron would have had more testing weather conditions at this time of the year so congrats again :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby thomasp67 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:01 am

Well done Dunfie and Cameron!

Ben Lomond was my first Munro and its still one of my favorites, it really is special when you get a crackin' day as it looks as though you did. Hopefully Cameron's got the Munro bug!

The two peaks that you asked about are Ben More and Stob Binnein. I would know them anywhere, you can see them from my window on the south bank of the Clyde believe it or not.
thomasp67

Munros:82   Corbetts:16
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Dunfie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks for the encouragment for Cameron. He really does like being out on the hill so hopefully get cracking on a few more but it will probably be next year now that the weather is closing in.

thomasp67 wrote:Ben Lomond was my first Munro and its still one of my favorites, it really is special when you get a crackin' day as it looks as though you did.

Ben Lomond was actually my first munro too as my dad hauled me up there over 30 years ago. I can't believe it was that long ago :shock: :lol:

thomasp67 wrote:The two peaks that you asked about are Ben More and Stob Binnein. I would know them anywhere, you can see them from my window on the south bank of the Clyde believe it or not.

Thanks Thomas, I got my bearings wrong as I thought I was looking west when I took the photo.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland