walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhreac North Skye 50 up

Beinn Bhreac North Skye 50 up

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (N Skye)

Date walked: 14/03/2018

Time taken: 2.14 hours

Distance: 6.1 km

Ascent: 358m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The morning was spent walking along to the beautiful Coral sands, well worth the short walk and we were rewarded to see a pair of otters swimming at a fair pace on the surface, a real bonus as we have seen individual sea otters before but never a pair, a good start.
After that the walk leaves from the same car park with a walk to the Sub 2000, Beinn Bhreac at 329m, hopefully another one that the good lady could manage. From our cottage at Stein we look onto the hill from the other side. A trig is visible from the cottage side but this is a fair distance from the real top.
IMG_7071.JPG

Start here
If I was doing this walk again I would do my route to the summit, then the ridge walk to this trig and descend the rough pathless slopes with the car park in view.
To begin walk up the track for only a 100 metres to a stile and from here there is a great grass farm track that takes you in line with the summit top at 329m. No livestock today but no doubt there will be at other times.
Trig & crags.jpg

Trig descent route for next trip
Once over the stile straight ahead there is a good view of the trig point and the crags beside it.
Destination crag.jpg

Destination in sight
The track turns right and you now look at the crags below the high point of the summit. A gentle gradient rise with this excellent grassy track allowing you time to take in the views, buzzard calling, a hoodie eating something.
Good grass track.jpg

Good grassy track
Just before the track ends head up to the crags. This is now deep moorland terrain but ok if you are used to the Galloway hills, not so in the case of the good lady she found this tough.
Off track to the crag.jpg

Off track here to crags
The expected high winds were kicking in as well but thankfully only spots of rain, but when we reached the crag it was enough for her.
IMG_7078.JPG
Moorland slope looking north

Almost all the climbing has been done now but still a bit to go.
Looking along ridge to cairn.jpg

Northern trig along ridge
She was settled down and happy to let me finish this so I moved on to towards the high point. From the crags there are two plateaus and at this stage I can see the trig to my left but not the top so followed the GPS line. As expected this area is now very wet marshland with peat hags thrown in so progress slowed.
Summit point.jpg

Summit cairn?
At the next crest I am surprised to see a 2nd trig/cairn to my left, check map nothing marked, but the high point is to my right. I head for that and confirm map and GPS, 329m point located and these small stones appear to represent it within a peat hag.
Dunvegan Head from crags.jpg

Looking back to Dunvegan Head
I did have some views back to the cottage but they would be even better from the trigs. Great views over the Tables, the Western Isles and the snow covered Cuillins. As said I will be back and walk the rest of the ridge.
As I have lost sight of the good lady my purpose was to get back ASAP as I knew she would be concerned. Met up, some Jelly Babies as a treat and descended the same way.
So another short walk with excellent views, the bonus being my 50th Sub2000. Not a huge hill but if looking to pass a couple of hours with views at the end, I recommend it.

Wildlife: Skylark, Meadow pipit, Buzzard, Hoodie,
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland