walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lovely walk - March Trail, Scolty, nr Banchory

Lovely walk - March Trail, Scolty, nr Banchory

Postby J4MRU » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Route description: March Trail, Scolty, near Banchory

Date walked: 18/03/2018

Time taken: 1.2 hours

Distance: 4.25 km

Ascent: 82m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I took my two girls (8 & 5) for a 'last minute' walk along the March trail at Scolty Hill nr Banchory and really enjoyed it.

It had snowed the night before so parts of the trail were still slightly frozen. This was a good thing as it meant that it was not as muddy to trek along. We had intended to go up the Scolty trail too but time constraints did not allow us to do so.

Because I took the girls with me, I wanted to stop somewhere as I had taken a wee Nutella sandwich :crazy: each for them but we only spotted one place to sit which was located too close to the start of the trail. So I had to endure a few moans and groans along the way and rewarded them back at the car.

It only took 1 hour 10 minutes to walk round and we were not going at any great pace. About a 16 or 17 minute KM if I remember correctly.

One thing to consider is that you have to pay for parking. £1.00 for an hour, £1.50 for 2 hours or £2.00 for an all day pass. Minivans are about £6-£8 I think.
Attachments
IMG_0489.JPG
Shelters near the start of the March trail
IMG_0488.JPG
The girls with the snowy peak of 'Craig of Affrusk' in the distance
IMG_0485.jpg
Long level section at the top of the March trail (below Scolty peak)
IMG_0481.jpg
The girls with the snowy peak of 'Craig of Affrusk' in the distance
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland