walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Uamh Bheag, Beinn nan Eun and Pals from Keltie Water

Uamh Bheag, Beinn nan Eun and Pals from Keltie Water

Postby iangpark » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Donalds included on this walk: Beinn nan Eun, Uamh Bheag

Date walked: 19/03/2018

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 27.4 km

Ascent: 904m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With my Dunblane placement concluded, I had been watching the MET Office and MWIS religiously, as only one weekend out of the past eight has proved viable for some hillwalking. The Ochils seriously appealed, and I very much considered getting the Yetts o' Muckart bus from Stirling, ditching the 59 to Callander. I thought it best, however, to enjoy the more drab of the two choices and wait for a proper summer day for the big range. Only phone pictures today as my DSLR couldn't handle the exposure.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I arrived just before Keltie Water and set off up the Dalvorich road. I passed a farmer in his 4x4 with a concerned look which didn't exactly fill me with confidence. Eventually reaching the split between the Wester and Easter Bracklinn farmhouse roads, I opted for Easter as 1. it didn't say 'no public access' and 2. was a slightly faster route. Not long after I found the obligatory 'no public access' for that one too. I passed by another farmer and his wife in their car, who, to my astonishment, both gave me a cheerful smile. Perhaps not as restricted as I had assumed.

Easter and Middle Bracklinn:
1 - Easter and Middle Bracklinn.jpg

I passed by a herd of cattle; the cow on the left, the calf on the right. Don't think I was that far off getting charged but I made it through. Just after the Middle Brackland farmhouse the sheep (who all seem to have huge horns around these parts) were particularly curious/startled too. The hills were in proper view not long after.

Meall Clachach and Uamh Bheag horizon:
2 - Meall Clachach and Uamh Beag Horizon.jpg

The farm track was a godsent as it seemingly never ended, and even when it did, there was a sturdy fence to join quickly afterwards. The snowline was hanging around the 330m mark, just before the track ended. I hadn't expected the snow to be so firm, and I was sliding all over the place for the rest of the day, clinging onto whichever fenceline wasn't eaten by the snow. I don't yet own a pair of crampons but today did make me consider an investment.

Slopes of Uamh Mhor:
3 - Slopes of Uamh Mhor.jpg

MC ascent:
4 - Meall Clachach Ascent.jpg

The ascent of Meall Clachach was the hardest part of the day - it was just under two hours from the bus to the summit.

Uamh Bheag from the Meall Clachach Summit:
5 - UB from MC Summit.jpg

Uamh Bheag has the easiest and most enjoyable ascent; the fence was hidden for a good portion of the time (I have never even come close to walking on snow this deep before) and the snowdrifts were enormous, some a good bit taller than me (although that's not much of an achievement!)

UB ascent:
6 - UB Ascent.jpg

Impressive drifts:
7 - Impressive Drifts.jpg

The summit was reached only 20 minutes after MC.

Bit chilly today pal?:
8 - Bit Chilly Today Pal.jpg

Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich:
9 - Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich.jpg

MC from UB:
12 - MC from UB.jpg

Callander:
11 - Callander from Trig.jpg

Back of the Ochils:
10 - Back of the Ochils.jpg

Other reports had mentioned the distance of the trig point but it was much further away than I'd thought. I tried my first bit of 'bum-sliding' as it seems to be known but only got red and sore hands in the process! The snow here was the most solid.

Trig:
13 - UB Trig.jpg

Down to Braes of Doune Wind Farm:
14 - Down to Braes of Doune WF.jpg

The descent here was also much more than expected (>150m) and was pretty steep. The fence was an absolute necessity at this point. I had bought one of those pasta-tub meals for lunch but found out there was no fork! Found a silent spot away from the wind and picked away at it, my left hand freezing afterwards!

Fence and Cairn:
15 - Fence and Cairn.jpg

Big drop to Beinn Odhar:
16 - Big Drop to BO.jpg

Over the infamous huge hag:
17 - Over the Huge Hag.jpg

I followed the fenceline up, but as it was almost entirely invisible for most of the way, I was a tad concerned about the snow depth. It turned out to be fine, although the huge hag was the deepest snow of the day (waist level). There were some footprints I followed almost to the Beinn Odhar top before they vanished. Spied around the summit area but to no real avail. The OS map notes a cairn but websites disagree; either way, not much of an exciting lump.

S a'C and BV from BO top:
19 - Sac and BV from BO.jpg

The way down to the base of Beinn Odhar and Beinn nan Eun had some monstrous hags and gullies; I imagine they would be horrendous without the snow.

One of the largest hags I spotted:
18 - One of the Largest Hags I Saw.jpg

After another quick tea break I once again easily followed somebody's footsteps to the BnE summit, conveniently with wooden marker post.

Beinn nan Eun summit:
20 - Summit BnE.jpg

BnE Drop and over to Glen Artney:
21 - BnE Drop and Glen Artney.jpg

I then began the walk to the nearest turbine of the wind farm, the path of which was to take me the whole way down to the road where I started. I was facing the sun now and was regretting not bringing sunglasses or a cap (neither of which I suit), but I was pleasantly warm and it was dead silent. Eventually manoeuvred my way over the gullies to the nearest machine.

Imposing energy (but also a great break from the sun!):
22 - Imposing Energy.jpg

I knew the walk down to the road was going to be long but I had seriously misunderestimated how long. It was two and a half hours but felt like an eon. Fortunately the path was easy going for most of the way.

One of two fuzzy caterpillar encounters of the day (unexpected?):
23 - The Second Caterpillar.jpg

After reaching the inverted T-junction, I headed west and took a shortcut through the sheepfields of Essmitchell. From there it was a stroll down to Milton of Cambus where I sneaked through a small forestry path, thinking the bus stops were also to the west.

The girls enjoying the sun - sorry for scaring you ladies!:
24 - The Girls Enjoying the Sun.jpg

Finally reaching the road, it was a 10 minute walk to the actual bus stop to the east, where I took a 50-minute rest and became aware of how sunburnt my face was before the embarrassing journey back to Glasgow.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Uamh Bheag, Beinn nan Eun and Pals from Keltie Water

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Fabulous conditions, and quite a long day that!

Great photos for a phone, why wasn't the DSLR coping do you know, should be better than the phone!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby iangpark » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Fabulous conditions, and quite a long day that!

Great photos for a phone, why wasn't the DSLR coping do you know, should be better than the phone!

Cheers Mal, not much ascent but definitely took a toll!

Aye they're all a bit zoomed out (as are all phone photos) but get the job done. I think it's got something to do with the shutter speed - every time I go without using my camera for a while I have to reacquaint myself with the instructions. ISO and exposure always stick but my knowledge of the other doesn't!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Ah. If you choose either Aperture or Shutter override function (Av or Tv on my Canon's main dial), and a given ISO, say 400, if you set one function, the other will take care of itself. So if you set Av as f7 say, the camera will choose Tv of something eg 1/250th. I very rarely choose full manual mode.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby iangpark » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Ah. If you choose either Aperture or Shutter override function (Av or Tv on my Canon's main dial), and a given ISO, say 400, if you set one function, the other will take care of itself. So if you set Av as f7 say, the camera will choose Tv of something eg 1/250th. I very rarely choose full manual mode.

Thanks - will try translate that to my Nikon! Was doing a lot of film photography a couple of years ago so tend to only use manual unless I am completely lost!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 am

Probably not a route that will be seen again in these forums! Good effort. You almost made Beinn nan Eun look appealing in those conditions, although I see even a proper snowy winter can't fill that massive hag on the way up.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby iangpark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 am

malky_c wrote:Probably not a route that will be seen again in these forums! Good effort. You almost made Beinn nan Eun look appealing in those conditions, although I see even a proper snowy winter can't fill that massive hag on the way up.

Yes 'tis a bit of an odd one I must admit. Beinn nan Eun was a beauty in comparison to Beinn Odhar! Wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was the biggest gully in any of the Donalds...
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby stirlingdavo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 am

Nice one for making an interesting route out of these hills. Cracking day you had for it too.

Your furry little friend is a Ruby Tiger moth caterpillar btw. They like to come out to bask in the sun at this time of year.
stirlingdavo
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:99
Fionas:78   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:39   
Islands:27

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 am

I'm surprised to see so much snow still on southern Grahams. I guess it's the legacy of The Beast... We had a few days off last week to visit the hills and in the north (from Glen Spean to Torridon) there is next to nothing on 600-700m.

Fantastic photos BTW. Looks like the good old phone did the job :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby iangpark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm

stirlingdavo wrote:Nice one for making an interesting route out of these hills. Cracking day you had for it too.

Your furry little friend is a Ruby Tiger moth caterpillar btw. They like to come out to bask in the sun at this time of year.

Cheers Davo, feeling the sunburn this morning :lol: Feel bad now - I chucked him back to the side of the path (looked easy prey!) Strangely there was another caterpillar I saw in between UB and BO just lying on the ice a good distance away from any vegetation.

BlackPanther wrote:I'm surprised to see so much snow still on southern Grahams. I guess it's the legacy of The Beast... We had a few days off last week to visit the hills and in the north (from Glen Spean to Torridon) there is next to nothing on 600-700m.

Fantastic photos BTW. Looks like the good old phone did the job :D

It really is quite surprising; Clackmannanshire and Perthshire did get the worst of it I suppose. There must be a scientific explanation as to why that is but I have no idea :? Hoping to also visit Torridon this summer - will be bone dry by then I would assume!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland