walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Voyages of the Graham Bagger: Beinn Clachach

Voyages of the Graham Bagger: Beinn Clachach

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Clachach

Date walked: 11/03/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 726m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our spring climbing holidays turned out to be a week of fighting the elements. I had been looking forward to bagging some new Munros and Corbetts, but due to windy conditions we were restricted to Grahams and Subs. Not that I don't like lower hills. Sometimes they give you more joy than their higher counterparts, and many of them are located in places, where Munro baggers would never go. Of course, we could attempt Munros and spend hours either swimming in thick cloud or being battered by chilly gusts of what was left from the Beast from the East. But we preferred to pick more benign hills and actually enjoy the whole experience rather than suffer through it. Overall, we climbed 5 Grahams and 4 Sub'2 Marylins, walked 80km, ascended nearly 4500m. Not huge numbers, many of you might say, but in given circumstances we are more than happy with these stats, and we consider our time was well spent. There's nothing better to do on hols than exploring the great Scottish outdoors, even if wind gusts almost make you fly :D

Our campaign started on Sunday the 11th of March. weather was forecast to be good on the western coast so we headed for Arnisdale, hoping to climb one of the mouth-watering little Grahams in this area. We agreed that the lovely, long ridge of Druim Fhada was better left for a longer day (it looks a cracker with lots of rocks to scramble over!). It rained the day before and the ground was waterlogged from melting snow as well, so Beinn Clachach looked like a good target, considering it has a nice stalkers track up to 350m.
The idea was to use the track on the way up to the col between Beinn Clachach and Beinn nan Caorach, climb to the western top and then traverse to the true summit. Graham guides suggest descending south to Glen Arnisdale, but as the lower slopes on that side look very steep, we didn't fancy this route in wet conditions and opted for easier descent into Coire Luachrach, where we could pick the track again.
To make a longer day, it is possible to add the Corbett Beinn nan Caorach to the tally, but we had done this one before (in combination with Beinn na h-Eaglaise) so this time we could concentrate on the Graham only and take time to enjoy the views... Even if they were occasionally obscured by cloud.

Track_BEINN CLACHACH ARNISDALE 8-3-18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting point is from the public car park in Corran, with superb vistas across Loch Hourn to the rough bounds of Knoydart:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 006.JPG

Black Arrow admiring our target hill :lol:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 009.JPG

From the amount of cloud still sitting on hill tops we guessed correctly, we were not in for a clear day, but what we could see was enough to make us gasp for breath :D
Beinn Sgritheall and Beinn na h-Eaglaise:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 011.JPG

The track along River Arnisdale and Beinn Clachach - looking very inviting!
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 017.JPG

We crossed a grassy meadow to reach a metal footbridge over Allt Utha. The bridge is very corroded and should be crossed single-file or it may collapse into the river :lol:
Allt Utha and distant Beinn nan Caorach:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 020.JPG

It was a very pleasant walk up the zig-zagging track. Most of the views were blocked by high mountains around, but we enjoyed vistas down to the glen and across Loch Hourn to parts of mighty Ladhar Bheinn ridge:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 026.JPG

The steep gorge of Allt Utha divides three mountains and when surrounded by such high slopes, one feels dwarfed by the nature...
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 031.JPG

Friends from the hills 8)
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 033.JPG

It was surprisingly warm and quiet... Easy walking so far:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 036.JPG

Ladhar Bheinn still covered in snow:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 042.JPG

We stopped for a few minutes by Eas na Cuingid waterfall, it was not in total spate but still spectacular:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 050.JPG

Panoramic snap of the waterfall and the two Corbetts in the background:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 056.JPG

We followed the track for another 300m into the corrie but when it crossed the river, we decided to stay on the southern side and begin to slowly gain height. Slopes above us seemed very steep and we knew we had to be careful, especially on slushy snow patches higher up.
Judging the route to the first top:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 067.JPG

Friends from the hills decided they had something important to do somewhere else and left the scene :wink:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 068.JPG

The ridge leading to the western top is steep but mostly grassy, a bit slippery in wet conditions,slushy snow from 500m on:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 074.JPG

As we were busy clambering over wet ground, the steep ridges behind us emerged from the cloud... or at least tried to emerge, resulting in fantastic "cuddling cloud" effect:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 077.JPG

Black Panther and Beinn nan Caorach:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 080.JPG

Panorama - the two Corbetts:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 086.JPG

The summit of "our" Graham (right), Beinn nan Caorach (left) and some bits of the peaks in Glen Shiel in the middle:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 092.JPG

Are you sure we don't need crampons for this? It's getting very steep!
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 094.JPG

We had crampons in our rucksacks, just in case, but managed all right on soft snow and grassy patches, soon to emerge on flatter ground around the lower summit... Views behind us were spectacular at the moment!
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 097.JPG

Aaah SGS peeking out from the clag :D
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 107.JPG

We were lucky this time. We caught a gap in the cloud as we climbed to the first top, it lased maybe 30 minutes and then the clag thickened again around higher peaks. Shame it never cleared fully, but what we got was enough to cause a few gasps of admiration and make me smile like... well, like a cat :D :D :D
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 104.JPG

The final walk to the lower top was rocky but no scrambling required:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 109.JPG

A moment of meowing madness:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 114.JPG

The summit of the western top is marked by a substantial cairn (much bigger than the pathetic pile of stones on the true summit :lol: ), a good spot to sit down and contemplate the beauty of surrounding landscape. We were alone on the mountain. No soul in sight. Patchy mist drifted around us but we still caught a decent portion of the views...
Down to Loch Hourn:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 120.JPG

Beinn nan Caorach and the summit of Beinn Clachach - again:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 133.JPG

SGS still visible at the moment:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 125.JPG

Hills of Knoydart and part of Druim Fada ridge:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 130.JPG

We sat on the western top for quite a long time and only when the cloud began to close in, we moved on to reach the summit. The traverse is easy over a wide, shallow bealach with less than 100m of reascent.
Come on, let's go! Druim Fada in the background:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 141.JPG

When crossing the bealach, we came across a long peat hag filled with snow. Kevin crossed it without any problems, but I must have been still preoccupied with the "cuddling cloud" spectacle around me, because I stepped into a hole, lost my balance and... performed a clumsy somersault into the snow. Well, maybe not exactly a full somersault as the dictionary meaning of described maneuver is "an acrobatic movement in which a person turns head over heels in the air or on the ground and lands or finishes on their feet." I finished on my backside, but snow under me was soft so I didn't suffer any painful bruises. Kevin spent the next half hour making fun of me and suggesting that I should join the local circus as Somersaulting Panther. Ha ha ha.
Over countless little crags and rocky bumps, we reached the summit eventually. Lucy was disappointed - no views!
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 144.JPG

We sat and waited for some time, maybe the clag would thin, but no luck this time :(
Graham no. 87 (54 for wee Lucy):
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 147.JPG

To return to the track in the upper glen, we descended into Coire Luachrach, this way we avoided any steep slopes and the necessity to fiddle with crampons. The clag was only "hugging" the very summit of Beinn Clachach, so as soon as we returned to the high bealach, we were out of the milky mist and into the sun again!
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 148.JPG

Kevin was very sure of himself as he marched quickly down the slopes, but his attitude was soon punished. He slipped on a wet patch of snow and went flying. Thankfully, the slope wasn't steep so he just ended up sitting on his bum and complaining that his trousers were now soaked. It was my time to laugh :lol:
The descent route follows the little gully to the right hand side:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 150.JPG

Frozen stream:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 156.JPG

Once we reached the track again, it was all plain sailing.
Both tops of Beinn Clachach from the track:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 159.JPG

We followed the track back down to Glen Arnisdale, with more stops for photos and sighs of admiration. Maybe it's not the most inventive way to climb this Graham but we really enjoyed it - and we hoped that the rest of the week would be just as good if not better...
Beinn na h-Eaglaise:
2018-03-11 beinn clachach arnisdale 170.JPG

Sadly, our hopes were not fulfilled. From Wednesday on, weather went downhill. We had other, non-hillwalking duties on Monday, so our next Graham bagging day on Tuesday. At that moment, weather still held, just about, so we climbed two more G's. TR to come soon.
As for Beinn Clachach, It can be easily added to either Beinn nan Caorach or Druim Fada as a sidekick hill, but in my opinion, it's best climbed on its own at a lazy pace. Whichever route you take, be assured that this modest Graham will not disappoint you.
Last edited by BlackPanther on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Voyages of the Graham Bagger: Beinn Clachach

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm

You should've took this wek off BP :)

I met a trainee GP up Meall a Ghuibhais other day, siad he worked out of Beauly. He could be your GP :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Great little hill - I really enjoyed this one, and will no doubt go up it again :D . It was the point where I realised that I'd done a quarter of the Grahams, so I might as well finish them off. You're well beyond that, so I'll look forward to the completion party in a few years :lol: .

Good weather back home too (well up to this point, at least).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Looks like proper wild country with wonderful views.

Which is not that surprising, as its next door but one to one of my favourite Munros, Beinn Sgritheall.

Shame you didn't get better weather for your week, but hopefully you'll be able to grab plenty of days now spring is (apparently) nearly here...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone :D
dooterbang wrote:You should've took this wek off BP :)

I met a trainee GP up Meall a Ghuibhais other day, siad he worked out of Beauly. He could be your GP :)

Don't rub it, please... It was supposed to be this week, but Kevin was asked to move hols because one of his colleagues was going to CPC training (it's a silly 5 day course, obligatory now for all pro drivers with C1 category) and they would be understaffed... Bad luck, really :(

GP's in Beauly come and go faster than the speed of light :lol: :lol: They don't even bother assigning patients to particular doctor. Every time I visit my clinic, it's someone else at the desk... Not that I go there very often.

malky_c wrote:Great little hill - I really enjoyed this one, and will no doubt go up it again :D . It was the point where I realised that I'd done a quarter of the Grahams, so I might as well finish them off. You're well beyond that, so I'll look forward to the completion party in a few years :lol: .

Good weather back home too (well up to this point, at least).

I'm not sure we'll ever complete the g's. Too many hills in weird places like Outer Hebrides or too far south from Inverness, like Galloway and Borders... A few years ago I had my "life target" at 100 Grahams, but it looks like I might reach this target soon, so it's been moved to 110 Grahams (half way point). Anything on top of it would be a nice bonus. We should really concentrate on compleating the Munros, but we get distracted too easily by lower hills... And how can you stay focused on higher mountains, with all the Beinn Clachachs and Druim Fhadas so close to home? it would be a sin not to climb them :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Looks like proper wild country with wonderful views.

Which is not that surprising, as its next door but one to one of my favourite Munros, Beinn Sgritheall.

Shame you didn't get better weather for your week, but hopefully you'll be able to grab plenty of days now spring is (apparently) nearly here...

We have a few more days planned in late April and then two weeks in July (In Pinn :sick: :sick: ), but we'll try visiting mountains on every weekend, including the Easter break. Weather seems to be "on the rise", too.

I admit I hated Beinn Sgritheall when we climbed it... It looks superb from the distance, but the ascent is far too steep for far too long :lol: :lol: Hardcore muscle workout, but we will return to those "deadly" slopes at some point. We didn't get good views from the summit the first time, maybe second time lucky.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland