walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Firth, river, woods, snowdrops, and a haunted castle

Firth, river, woods, snowdrops, and a haunted castle

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Route description: Tulloch Castle from Dingwall

Date walked: 14/03/2018

Distance: 10.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided to include Ferry Point in the circuit so after parking in the free car park we headed along the High Street and instead of turning left along Tulloch Street, continued past the hospital and out to the point where the River Peffer flows into the Cromarty Firth.

Sculpture at Ferry Point
DSC_2437-large.JPG

Mouth of Peffer and snow-covered Wyvis
IMG_5185c-large.JPG

DSC_2430-large.JPG

DSC_2426-large.JPG

IMG_5187-large.JPG

Footbridge now out of bounds
DSC_2424-large.JPG

IMG_5188-largec.JPG

Railway bridge ahead
IMG_5191-large.JPG

When we reached the A862 we turned right and followed it past some fine houses until we reached a path on the left signed for Craig Woods.

Path through the woods
IMG_5192-large.JPG

The path rises at a gentle gradient with views through the trees to the firth below.

IMG_5193-largec.JPG

Followed sign for Tulloch Castle
IMG_5194-large.JPG

IMG_5195-largec.JPG

Cromarty Firth
IMG_5197-largec.JPG

Ferry Point
IMG_5198-largec.JPG

IMG_5199-largec.JPG

IMG_5202-largec.JPG

IMG_5203-large.JPG

Farm buildings
IMG_5205-largec.JPG

Attractive square steading
IMG_5206-largec.JPG

Tulloch Castle was built in the 1540s and became the traditional home of Clan Davidson in the 1760s. It was used as a hospital after the evacuation from Dunkirk, was more recently a boarding hostel for Dingwall Academy and is now run as a hotel.

Tulloch Castle
IMG_5210-largec.JPG

Moira reliably informs me the turret is haunted by a lady dressed in green, but I've no way of verifying that which I'm all that keen to take!

IMG_5211-largec.JPG

IMG_5212-largec.JPG

We continued along through the avenue of trees and rather than turning left down to Maggie's Drive kept going until we reached Docharty Road where we turned left.

IMG_5213-large.JPG

From Docharty Road we had a clear view west towards Knockfarrel.

Knockfarrel
IMG_5214-largec.JPG

We followed the road downhill to the junction with the Strathpeffer Road from where we headed back into the centre of Dingwall just in time to mingle with the school kids out on their lunch break. We decided it was worth going a little further to the station to visit Tina's Tearoom to sample the home bakes there.

IMG_5215-large.JPG

All in all a pleasant amble round an old market town, taking in a variety of terrain and scenery.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Firth, river, woods, snowdrops, and a haunted castle

Postby gld73 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:59 pm

I was surprised seeing your route on the map at the end - from the photos I'd assumed you'd gone further away from the town. Dingwall has never looked so nice!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Firth, river, woods, snowdrops, and a haunted castle

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:15 pm

gld73 wrote:I was surprised seeing your route on the map at the end - from the photos I'd assumed you'd gone further away from the town. Dingwall has never looked so nice!

Just a wee dander round a wee town - but a good leg stretch for all that. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland