walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cold Moss and Hods Hill

Cold Moss and Hods Hill

Postby McMole » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hods Hill

Date walked: 22/03/2018

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 575m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a couple of months since I'd ticked off a Donald Top or turned one of the red ballons on the WH hill maps blue: today I achieved both. Jaywizz hadn't managed out for a month and had also been longing to add to her collection of blue balloons. Could we find a walk that would satisfy both of us? We could. Jaywizz had the Marilyn of Well Hill in the Southern Lowthers in her sights. I'd climbed that last year so I encouraged her to park in a layby on the A702 that allowed me to head north to the Donald Top of Cold Moss as she tackled the steeper slopes to the south.

Cold Moss - 5.6km, 340m, 2hr
Cold Moss route s.gif

I crossed the valley and did a rising traverse to the northwest to head for the col below Comb Head. As I did so I turned and took a photo of Jaywizz part-way up her ascent.
P1020494 s.JPG
Looking back at Jaywizz on her walk and her car in the layby on the A702, She's a cluster of half a dozen dark pixels approaching the patch of snow by the wall.
P1020493 s.jpg
Zooming in on Jaywizz
Once at the col I crossed a fence to join the Southern Upland Way. There was a cold breeze blowing and 100% cloud cover. The higher summits were in it, but our objectives were just below that level. That meant that with my camera at maximum zoom I could see Jaywizz over 2km away and half-way to her summit.
P1020496 s.JPG
Well Hill from the SUW part of the way up Comb Head
P1020498 s.JPG
Zooming in on Jaywizz - near top left by the fence
P1020498b s.JPG
Part of previous photo at full resolution showing Jaywizz approaching 550m
As I climbed above 600m I did enter the cloud, but it rose shortly after I reached the Cold Moss summit. I stopped there for a snack in the 'shelter' of the SUW marker post which, whether intentionally or not, either marks the summit (NS 89893 09442) or is within a few metres of it.
P1020500 Cold Moss Summit s.JPG
The Cold Moss summit and the SUW waymark post
There was a strong cold breeze blowing so I was glad I'd come well clad in full winter kit. The radar and various mobile phone and radio antennae on the main Lowther Hills ridge were partially visible in the cloud.
P1020506 s.JPG
The radar station on Lowther Hill
I could see Well hIll in the distance with cloud-capped Ballencleuch Law and Scaw'd Law behind it.
P1020503 s.JPG
Ballencleuch Law and Scaw'd Law in the clouds beyond Well Hill
As I descended from Comb Head I could see Jaywizz also returning and we arrived at the A702 almost simultaneously.
P1020514 s.JPG
Jaywizz descending
Neither of us has seen any wild life either on the ground or in the air - just sheep.

Hods Hill - 6.6km, 240m, 2.1hr
The day was still young and the weather had been better than expected with zero rain. It was only a quarter to one - so we had plenty of time for a joint ascent of our secondary objective - Hods Hill.
Hods Hill route s.gif
This was only a short drive away, and shortly after half past one we had parked at the south-west end of the Daer Reservoir Dam and were walking along its 800m long top.
P1020517 s.JPG
Starting to cross the dam
At the far end a left turn brought us to the waymarked Southern Upland Way ascent route. This follows a wall then fences all the way to the top through one gate and over four stiles. At the top the summit lies 150 metres to the north along another fence.
P1020519.JPG
Summit is straining post at fence corner. McMole with Hart Fell in the distance - by Jaywizz
P1020521 s.JPG
Jaywizz at the summit
After a short stop for summit photos we retraced our ascent route and headed home as the sun finally managed to break through and a few patches of blue sky appeared.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Cold Moss and Hods Hill

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 am

Very impressed with the zoom on your camera! A successful day - delighted to have your company.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland