walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Berwyns: Foel Cwm-Sian Llwyd

Berwyns: Foel Cwm-Sian Llwyd

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd

Date walked: 26/03/2018

Time taken: 2.25

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 185m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Starting point: LR125 006 321 The parking area near the top of the pass on the B4391 is obvious, the ruined cottage isn't (not until you pull into the car park anyway!) This proved to be a very straightforward and quick ascent, vaguely picking a line up to the left of the stream, although the lack of paths and presence of rough heather (up to thigh deep in places) made it hard work at times. The summit Trig point is quite big and well made, however the "cairn" is actually more like a shelter/wind break and a better place to have a flask of coffee. A more direct decent can be made to the car park, the stream being easily crossed at a small Holly tree with a collapsed larger tree (Rowan?) beside it, in between the two obvious, larger trees growing in the gully. Those with neither recent hip replacements nor receiving their OAP will complete the walk in rather less time than I took (but then I wasn't in a hurry). Only Meadow Pipits and a couple of Red Grouse for company. Blessed with good weather and fine views.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:10
Grahams:9   Donalds:11
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:194   Islands:2

Re: Berwyns: Foel Cwm-Sian Llwyd

Postby davekermito » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 pm

I could sum that walk up in one word, but decency stops me form doing so!

I went up FCSL on a very windy, wet day in November about 4 years ago with my (at the time) 5 year old son. He still hasn't forgiven me :lol:

One to go up once and once only!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:208
Wainwrights:77   

Re: Berwyns: Foel Cwm-Sian Llwyd

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:00 am

It took 50 years of hill walking to get round to doing it, I can happily give it another 50 before I go back, but at least it was a short walk!
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:94   Corbetts:10
Grahams:9   Donalds:11
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:194   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland