walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mheadhoin

Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby Coop » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin via the Shelter Stone

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin

Date walked: 26/03/2018

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Overshot the wee cairn marking the start up to Beinn Bhreac.
Couldn't be ersed going back a couple of hundred metres. I reckon today was meant to be.
I was on Derry Cairngorm last year and the wind was so strong I decided not to go on to Beinn Mheadhoin.
Now today I said "Bheinn Mheadhoin it is.
Good walk all on my tod all the way to the wee bridge and round and up to The Hutchison memorial hut.
Had a wee look in. Tidy wee bothy - apart from the ful rubish bag hanging up!!
From there it was up the Loch etchachan- frozen solid.
Met a ski tourer who was packing his skis away for the final pull up to the plateau. We went up together on the steep slope. He donned skis and circled round the rock strewn plateau- and I went across directly past the 1st barn.
Then it came into view - the summit Barn. Ya beauty. Massive and as good as it looks in all the pics.
Someone with me as well says me - decent pic on top. Uh uh!!
I went round the back and it it was a bit icy. Climbed up the 1st wee bit . He took a pic then said he was off to recce a route back. One wee dcdgy icy bit but I made it to the summit. 16km walk- the last 10 ft I made sure off!!
The other lad had gone on top of the other wee barn not far away. Quick wave to each other. He went his way and I went back mine.
Back down to the memorial hut and the long walk out.
Fantastic day and I said to myself.
If I don't do another walk this year this will have made my year.

What a fantastic day.
Finally Beinn Mheadhoin
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland