walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian and friends

Bidean nam Bian and friends

Postby yokehead » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 18/05/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1315m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A return to a favourite part of the Scottish mountain world and the Bidean circuit, I was very much looking forward to this. I visited Bidean way back in 2009 on a snowy day when doing my winter skills course with Chaz, which I can vividly remember doing with him as if it were yesterday. However our ascent of Stob Coire nan Lochan was up the eastern side that day, and we didn't visit Stob Coire Sgreamhach, so there was new ground to cover today. I'd also made a separate trip climbing Broad Gully to SCNL when there was just enough snow left, and I find this area outstanding.

bidean.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked in the main car park and headed across the bridge and up the superb steep but enjoyable route into Coire nan Lochan with the high cliffs on both sides - terrific. It is a steady plod and actually doesn't take that long to get toward the high coire since the steep ascent also means that distance is short. About halfway up, what I remembered from a few years ago as a rock step that required a bit of scrambling seemed to be different, more extended and messier - perhaps there had been some rockfall here?

P1060118.jpg
ascending Coire nan Lochan

Just below the final rise into the upper coire we headed west across the stream to the small plateau. It is not until over this rise that the full extent of the cliffs come into view. We continued, ascending gently, to gain the lower part of the north ridge of SCNL.

P1060120.jpg
the rise to the plateau

P1060121.jpg
getting onto the plateau, looking back to the Aonach Eagach

P1060122.jpg
SCNL cliffs

The climb over rocky ground to SCNL is varied and interesting with route detail options and easy scrambling on offer. Stob Coire nam Beith looks fine and is another way I want to climb to Bidean on a future trip - there are so many possibilities here. Gaining height and now heading slightly east of south, the ridge we will take between SCNL and Bidean comes into view, the ascent to the latter looking steep. Up more stony ground, passing the top of Broad Gully, and we were at the SCNL summit cairn with its tremendous views in all directions. In my view this should be a separate Munro in its own right, the mountain and its approaches are just superb and worthy!

P1060126.jpg
ridge to SCNL, Stob Coire nam Beith behind

P1060128.jpg
getting higher and fun terrain ahead

P1060131.jpg
Bidean and the ridge to it from SCNL left, Stob Coire nam Beith right

P1060132.jpg
SCNL summit, ridge from Bidean to Stob Coire Sgreamhach behind

As we started to head down the ridge to Bidean we had a 5 minute snow shower which certainly added to the ambience of the day! Bidean summit was mist covered making the climb to come look even steeper, but it is no such thing and the way is enjoyable with another section of mild scrambling. As we neared the top, we were treated to the best terrain, sky, cloud and light quality combination of the day, superbly atmospheric and perfect for this great location.

P1060133.jpg
Bidean out of the cloud now

P1060134.jpg
snow shower

P1060135.jpg
heading down to the col below Bidean

P1060138.jpg
best photo conditions of the day

Bidean summit is at 1150m on the OS map. The altimeter on my watch said 1151m so that's not bad - but the time was 11:51 as well and I thought that was a brilliant coincidence!

P1060141.jpg
1151m reached at 11:51!

P1060139.jpg
Bidean summit

P1060143.jpg
SCNL left and the Lost Valley

We headed off along the ridge southeast, again enjoyable, descending quite a bit to the bealach we'd descend from later. There is a final fairly steep climb to the summit of Stob Coire Sgreamhach where we took in the fabulous views once again before descending carefully back to the bealach.

P1060147.jpg
looking along Beinn Fhada, another route to be done!

The gully at the top is steep and there was still some snow in it, but a careful shuffle between the snow and rock did the trick bringing us onto the scree slope below. Heading to the west as we descended took us to the top of a sketchy path which eased the going until we reached the better path lower down, 300m below the bealach, with the Lost Valley stretching ahead.

P1060149.jpg
gully down from the bealach

P1060151.jpg
Lost Valley

P1060153.jpg
looking back to the improbable route from/to the bealach

P1060154.jpg
nearing the flat valley floor

The interesting flat section of the valley is reached and we stopped near the end for a clamber on the large rocks before heading down the narrow path through a small woods and alongside a sheer drop to the stream - one of the most dangerous places should a slip happen on the walk I thought!

P1060159.jpg
enjoyable boulders at the end of the valley just before descent

P1060163.jpg
heading down through the woods

Only a short way to the car now, shame about the small ascent to the road when your legs are tired! Coachloads of folk milling about, most taking selfies with their heads taking up the majority of the picture and little of the view behind, what is the point of that? 'Here's a picture of my head with something behind, not sure but it might be Glencoe!'

A last look at the superb 3 sisters and our route, then a short trip to the Clachaig for another dose of haggis and beer! Farewell Bidean, I will be back.........

P1060166.jpg
ascent route right, descent route left - fantastic!

P1060167.jpg
zoom of atmospheric cliffs and snow still in Broad Gully
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland