walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a Mhaim

Carn a Mhaim

Postby Coop » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 27/03/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 648m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Feet taped up after yesterday on Beinn Mheadhoin (two toes causing me slight concern) and the weather wasn't too promising.
Morrone or Carn a Mhaim ??
Walk in to Derry lodge won the day - again!!
Must be a glutton for punishment.
Should've taken a tent and spent a night under the stars - never
Should've tsken a doss bag snd called in at Bob Scotts - never
Should've hired a bike - never
Weather wasn't too bad so far. I could see the mist/ cloud base sitting about 700m. There wouldn't be many views today anywhere- for me - I was right.
Over the bridge st Derry lodge. Skipped over the boggy section and onto the good path to the burn.
Got across without getting wet- bonus. Up the steps and into the good pitched path up to my target. The path split further up. Left for the devil's point and laraig Ghru . Right fir me.
The good path soon dissappeared under the snow - in fact the whole mountain and everywhere around dissappeared as well. Whiteout!!. Goggles went on for a while as I was trying go see/ pick out anything in front.
GPS, map and compass were out at times.
Goggles came off again as I could see a bit better without them. Started snowing a bit - more like hail about 200m from the summit. Thought to myself " if this gets worse I'm off back down".
It didn't and I finally got to the cairn. No big achievement was felt- relief really. No great views, no nothing. And hoping my prints would still be in place for the descent - and they were.
Back down and a nice walk out. Met a couple of chaps who had gone from the ski centre over and stayed at the Hutchison memorial hut- now on their way to Corrour Bothy to stay there and then back to aviemore - good wee route over a couple of days.
Note- when the path is gone and you're in the middle of a whiteout/clag/low cloud/snow - take extra care or go back.

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland