walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It`s always a Buzzard !

It`s always a Buzzard !

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 am

Route description: Ellenabeich hillwalk, Isle of Seil

Date walked: 26/03/2018

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.7 km

Ascent: 194m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Took a wee driving tour with my wife around Oban and the surrounding area.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Drove through to see Easdale Island and Ellanabeich. The Island is an old slate quarry and Ellanabeich harbour was built up using rock and slate from the quarries to enable the transportation of slate to the "mainland" on the Isle of Seil and was a stop off for boats travelling between Glasgow & Fort William.
Although we didn`t take the ferry over I just had a walk around and climbed the wee hill Dun Mor
for some great sea views and to try to get a better view of some birds of prey, which i hoped would be Sea Eagles, that were circling high above.
We had a wee weather break in this longest winter ever and it was a beautiful day. The in car thermometer was reading 19 degrees !
I didn`t know that there was a Walkhighlands route done for this and i couldn`t get a mobile network to check so i set off walking around the village to find my way up so my route is slightly different to the one described on the site, while Leianne sat and soaked up the rays .
The village consists of rows of cottages built for the workers on the quarry.
I walked along the road until I reached a school looking for a route in without clambering over walls and through property, I wandered around a small open garden before finding a gate beside a red post box.
This was the way in.
oban 208wr.jpg
garden with wire sheep

oban 128wh.jpg
birds in the distance

oban 140wh.jpg
birds

oban 161wr.jpg
sparrow chick

oban 163wr.jpg
cottages

oban 175wr.jpg
crane

oban 178wr.jpg
slate wall

oban 179wr.jpg
the main st

oban 185wr.jpg
humps

oban 192wr.jpg
geese

It`s a gentle walk on a well worn but still grassy path. Most of the time the buzzards were a bit further inland but soon one was to fly towards me from the coast and it paused above me as i tried to capture a magnificent White Tailed Sea Eagle ! :lol:
oban 214wh.jpg
clearly a buzzard..

oban 217wh.jpg
and again

I continued along the path and up by a old boundary wall.
oban 233wr.jpg
wall

And towards the steepest part of the walk up onto the summit.
oban 231wr.jpg
Dun Mor

I had cracking views out to Mull and although it was a bit windy it was bearable.
onto the summit where there was the remains of some brick structure and a wee bench to sit on and take in the views.

oban 238wr.jpg
views2

oban 247wr.jpg
bench & Easdale Island

oban 248wr.jpg
sea cliffs

oban 254wr.jpg
Ellenabeich from above

oban 257wr.jpg
from on the edge

oban 261wr.jpg
Easdale Island

There were a lot of hooded crows , seagulls and other cliff dwelling birds flying around as well as sheep peacefully grazing on the hilltop.
And the views were marvellous
For the most part a great hulking cloud hung over Mull but eventually lifted.
I sat on the bench and drank my flask flavoured coffee... :lol:
oban 269wr.jpg
towards Mull

oban 249wr.jpg
Ben More ?

I then took a walk down towards the cliffs overlooking the carpark and wondered if there was route down this way , only if i wanted to dive into the sea and swim back !
I returned back to the summit and made my way back down.
oban 274wr.jpg
Looking back down the route

A nice wee walk with some great views if it is a bit of a drive to get there, but if your in the area it`s well worth it , just watch out for the guy driving around in a tank !

tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland