walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

To Alhang and back

To Alhang and back

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Alhang

Date walked: 29/03/2018

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 11.89 km

Ascent: 401m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I woke up to a crisp clear sky morning and decided to complete my Glen Afton walks, best intentions but not fulfilled. A quick Met Office check showed good or very good visibility all day, fine. Targets Windy Standard and Alhang.
As I drove into Glen Afton the clouds were already very low covering most of Blackcraig Hill, not the best start.
Dam.jpg
Zig zag steps up to the dam walk goes to the right of here

Afton Dam
I parked at the last slot before the dam and walked up the OS marked track to the end of the reservoir. When I say track, once past the dam it is a full on building site road as they are levelling the last untouched section for construction.
The walk from car to cutting off to Alhang was 1.7miles and I lost count of the number of vehicles I had to stand aside for. To be fair nobody tried to chase me away and I got plenty of waves from the drivers for standing aside.
It is not just turbine construction but pylon construction as well so a hive of activity.
Track to sheepfold.jpg

Firebreak track
Finally reached what is marked as a firebreak on the map, most trees cut down, but is a new track that leads to the marked Sheepfold alongside Afton Water. The objective still shrouded in mist but behind me blue skies, which would win, and it was bitterly cold.
Sheepfold.jpg
Heading round Lagower hill on the left

Sheepfold
Now I followed the farmers ATV track SE around Lagower Hill which led me all the way to Alwhat top.
AF from Alwhat.jpg

Afton reservoir from Alwhat
There is a fence here and I was sure it was a case of following it SE but time for map and compass to confirm as no line of sight in this cloud.
fence to Alhang.jpg

Alhang ahead
Just as I started walking to my bearing the cloud lifted and now I could see the next summit ahead, Alhang. There is only 20 metres difference between Alwhat & Alhang, but I dropped about 80 metres to climb again, marshy but not too bad.
Alhang summit.jpg
This small pile of stones marks the top

Afton reservoir from Alhang
I followed the fence to the top but soon realised the summit was over on the other side and back a bit. A clear track, soon found, led me to the small cluster of rocks, my first target.
CoC.jpg

Cairnsmore of Carsphairn
Really good views now over Carsphairn and Moorbrock Hill, basically everything south looked good.
As I stood and looked around, taking it all in, the magnitude of the active construction was mesmerising. Vehicles, people and cranes were moving all over in all directions. I hate the things but I can appreciate the employment and money to the economy.
However, as I looked to Windy Standard I realised that although getting there was ok my descent was going to be through many layers of active construction. Every hilltop seemed covered. I admit I lost heart. It can be left to another day, a few years away, when all this work is completed.
Spagnum steps.jpg

Sphagnum steps
Instead I then had a very pleasant descent alongside the Afton Water. Rugged moorland but surprisingly little noise, only the odd sheep and raven, very tranquil indeed. Steps of vivid green sphagnum moss, the likes of which I have not seen before, invite you to step on them but only if you wanted a wet foot.
I came around the west side of Lagower Hill and arrived back at the sheepfold and then back to the car stepping aside for the many convoys.
Typical hilltop scene.jpg

Typical hilltop furniture
When I was up last Sunday work was in progress but on this midweek day was on a different scale altogether.
There is a never a bad walk and this was fine. Shorter than intended but I will be back.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: To Alhang and back

Postby iangpark » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Nice report and great photos Des. Hopefully these are the last of the extensions to the site - I am a firm supporter of wind power and they have done a decent job at keeping the turbines out of the way of motorists on either side but there definitely is enough of them there now. Would have been better had they built them a bit further to the north but I suppose it wouldn't have been financially viable. Hope you get some good weather when you re-visit - I was lucky to get some great sunshine when I was up last year. Cheers
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: To Alhang and back

Postby desmondo1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Ta Ian, most of the snaps were from the phone as recently my pocket camera has been going on strike in the cold weather, the shutter not fully opening when up top, time for another replacement.
Enjoy your walking.
Des
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland