walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unusual place for a coffee stop between Foyers and Dores

Unusual place for a coffee stop between Foyers and Dores

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Route description: Loch Ness 360: Foyers to Dores

Date walked: 21/03/2018

Distance: 22 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the West Highland Way lined up for the end of April we decided to do the South Loch Ness Trail as a warm up. Owing to the weather we ended up doing the three stages in a different order to that suggested, but still walking from south to north.

We did the the third stage from Dores to Torbreck back in January and it was March before we were able to do another. On the day we were free the forecast was for cloud and showers so we decided to do the middle stage from Foyers to Dores, some of which we'd walked before on a brighter day, and leave the stage from Loch Tarff to Foyers for a better day. This proved to be the right choice - as you'll see when I write up that part of the trail.

We left one car in Dores and travelled together to the car park by the Waterfall Cafe at Foyers. We've been to the cafe on a few occasions before but it didn't look like it was open for business, with newspaper covering the windows. We found out later it was due to be open for the Easter weekend.

Waterfall Cafe
IMG_5216-largec.JPG

It's worth the detour to take a look at the Falls of Foyers, following the signs that start across the road from the cafe.

Falls of Foyers
DSC02600-largec.jpg

From the cafe we followed the main road downhill and turned right on to a waymarked lane which passes to the right of the church. We took a right fork at the sign for Inverfarigaig and Boleskine, climbing steadily through the forest until reaching a blue SLNT sign on to a path on the left.

Waymarked path
IMG_5219-largec.JPG

WH warns the going becomes very rugged, but we found it to be a fine path for walking - possibly not so easy on wheels.

Path not too rough
IMG_5220-largec.JPG

The only short section which could rightly be called rugged was skirting a large boulder with a chain attached, although we found with poles we didn't need the chain.

The chain
IMG_5224-large.JPG

This section was well marked with the blue SLNT posts and improved from when we did it in 2012 and found ourselves scambling over a craggy section somewhere between here and the boulder with the chain. It was much clearer this time.

IMG_5227-largec.JPG

When the path reached a track we turned right, which led us under the Beauly/Denny powerline, staying on the main path at a fork and at the next fork taking the option to the left which goes downhill on the left side of a burn. We ignored the footbridge on the right and stayed on the broad path down to the Inverfarigaig forest walks car park.

Dun Dearduill from Inverfarigaig forest walks car park
IMG_5233-largec.JPG

The public toilets at Foyers had been closed but the ones at Inverfarigaig were obligingly open. Drizzle had turned into proper rain and it was time to don waterproof trousers which is always a bit of a faff with nowhere to sit. But these toilets came up trumps, being equipped (in addition to the obvious!) with a table, two chairs, reading material and a fire extinguisher. Well you never know when you might need one. So we got ourselves rain-proofed in comfort and because these toilets were immaculate and we were clearly the first ones in since they'd been cleaned we stayed for a cup of coffee and half a marmalade roll. First time for either of us to have a coffee stop in public lavvies! :lol:

This is a first!
IMG_5232-largec.JPG

From the car park we turned left down the minor road to reach the main South Loch Ness road where we turned right. After crossing the bridge we took a right turn on to a narrow minor road which climbs in zig-zags and was in my parents' young days used by occasional traffic. I seem to remember they called it "the turns" but now it's known as the Corkscrew Road.

Corkscrew Road and a view back to the super loos of Inverfarigaig!
IMG_5236-large.JPG

Meal Fuar-mhonaidh in cloud
IMG_5238-large.JPG

IMG_5239-largec.JPG

At the top of the turns the road levels out as it heads northeast through farmland.

Gloomy view back to Dun Garbh and Dun Dearduill
IMG_5245-largec.JPG

Looking south in the direction of Errogie I wondered where the croft at Oldtown was - now just a ruin - where my granny and her 7 siblings were brought up. I've since found it on the map and it's a fair distance from Inverfarigaig which is where she had to walk to on a Monday morning to get the boat to Drumnadrochit for secondary school and back again on a Friday afternoon. She was dux of the school in 1907 before finishing her schooling at Inverness Royal Academy and then on to teacher training in Aberdeen. It was such a simple home but all 8 of them went on to successful careers in education or farming - some going as far afield as New Zealand to start sheep farming there. These crofting families were tough stock. As a total contrast to that humble home (now a pile of stones overgrown with nettles) there stands a grand edifice complete with turret, resplendent on the hillside.

Curly-horned sheep, geese, big white house and Monadhliath Mountains beyond
IMG_5247-largec.JPG

Balchraggan Farm
IMG_5250-largec.JPG

We passed the strange cross-roads with a short section of road stopping abruptly and turned left on a forest track to cross a cattle grid. The blue SLNT marker has fallen so be careful not to miss it.

Blue SLNT marker has fallen
IMG_5251-large.JPG

This track climbs with a sharp right bend, a waymarked left turn at a T junction and finally reaches a turning area with a sign for 'Fair Haired Lad's Pass'. At this point there was a sign warning of forestry work ahead and the need to follow diversion signs. In terms of distance this was about the half way point on our route so we found some conveniently placed logs at the side of the path to sit down for lunch. :wink:

Useful logs
IMG_5255-large.JPG

A bit further on we came to the whimsically named Fair Haired Lad's Pass. I'd like to find the story of the fair haired lad but have drawn a blank. Does anybody know? This excellent path was opened in 2007 when the local press were persuaded to come up to take photos for the Inverness Courier! 8)

Fair Haired Lad's Pass
IMG_5257-largec.JPG

Despite the low cloud it was as lovely as described with views north and south along Loch Ness and across to Urquhart Bay on the other side. I'm sure on a clear day it would be possible to see much further over to the west.

Urquhart Bay
IMG_5259-large.JPG

IMG_5260-largec.JPG

IMG_5261-largec.JPG

I'd never seen Urquhart Castle from this angle before and although invisible to the naked eye the photo shows people there.

Zoomed to Urquhart Castle
IMG_5263-largec.JPG

And so began the long zig-zag descent to the swathe of forestry from here to Dores along the side of Loch Ness. It was the less interesting half of the route as mainly entailed walking through planted conifers, only enlivened by bare stubbly sections of recently felled planted conifers.

IMG_5264-largec.JPG

When we reached the junction where we were to turn right on to a grassy path there was a sign saying that owing to forestry operations we should follow the diversion sign. But the diversion sign directed us along a track going uphill and back in the direction of Inverfarigaig. I looked at the map and the track we were being sent along petered out giving us no indication of where we would end up. I had something on later which required me to be back at Dores when we had expected to be so I wasn't keen to add any distance to our route. There was no sound of forestry work ahead so I suggested we go on with caution, aware if we came across anything barring our way we'd have to turn back, which I reckoned was a risk worth taking. :think:

So that's what we did. For a long way there was nothing happening and then on a long straight section we passed a stationary timber harvester some way off the track with a man in attendance. He had his back to us, head phones on and didn't notice us passing so we didn't have to plead senile dementia for disobeying the diversion sign. In our defence I think if it had said exactly where it was taking us we would have been more inclined to follow it.

Looking back to Urquhart Bay
IMG_5270-largec.JPG

Dark waters of Loch Ness
IMG_5273-largec.JPG

Eventually the forestry track led us down to the single track road to Dores and we were left with a 3km walk along it, stepping on to the grass verge whenever anything passed. It was surprisingly busy so that kept us on our toes and we were glad to get back to the car parked near to the Dores Inn.

IMG_5275-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Unusual place for a coffee stop between Foyers and Dores

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 am

Drove back to Foyers so Moira could collect her car and reminisced about the time we sat outside the Foyers cafe with dogs sitting patiently while we drank our coffee. Those dogs could tell some stories about walks they've done with us! :wink:

Jack and Tess (March 2012)
IMG_0139-large.jpg
dogplodder

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:06 am

Just came across your report while looking for something else. It's a fantastic wild area rich with history and legend. I know the area fairly well and previously I found this little snippet of info regarding the pass of the fair haired lad from south loch ness heritage.

"The stone is situated in Cadha a’ Ghille Bhain (the Pass of the fair Haired Lad). The path slants
up from the cottage at Whitefield to Baile a Cheathearnaich. Cadha a’ Ghille Bhain is so
named from a pensioner who was lost here when crossing the hill to Baile Cheathearnaich on a
very stormy night with his first pension. A cairn marks the spot where the body was found
high up above the south-west corner of Whitefield plantation."

It came from a booklet compiled in the 1920s. The main source was James Gow who lived from 1803 to 1903.
Your granny might have been too young to know him but it looks like he lived close by.
If you haven't already come across this info you might find it interesting.

http://southlochnessheritage.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Tales-from.pdf
Sunset tripper

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Just came across your report while looking for something else. It's a fantastic wild area rich with history and legend. I know the area fairly well and previously I found this little snippet of info regarding the pass of the fair haired lad from south loch ness heritage.

"The stone is situated in Cadha a’ Ghille Bhain (the Pass of the fair Haired Lad). The path slants
up from the cottage at Whitefield to Baile a Cheathearnaich. Cadha a’ Ghille Bhain is so
named from a pensioner who was lost here when crossing the hill to Baile Cheathearnaich on a
very stormy night with his first pension. A cairn marks the spot where the body was found
high up above the south-west corner of Whitefield plantation."

It came from a booklet compiled in the 1920s. The main source was James Gow who lived from 1803 to 1903.
Your granny might have been too young to know him but it looks like he lived close by.
If you haven't already come across this info you might find it interesting.

http://southlochnessheritage.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Tales-from.pdf

Thanks for this. Stratherrick seems to have a more violent past than my granny ever told me! The main thing I remember her telling me from the past is that some of her relatives in Strathnairn took Prince Charlie in after the Battle of Culloden and we had a table that would have been in that house around that time. We later returned the table to my parents and my dear old dad cut it up to make a shelf for his garage!! Wish we'd hung on to it.
dogplodder

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:41 pm

That table story!!!

This is a wonderful area, great to read and see a bit more about it.

As an occasional visitor from south of the border, I am always struck by how the less well known parts of the Highlands have so many places full of history and natural beauty, that would be renowned tourist destinations if they were in England.

My own all-too-brief mini-exploration of this area https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72204 - whetted the appetite for more, although when I'll get there I don't know. When I retire, probably!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland