walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

Postby pigeon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 23/10/2010

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15.6 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set of early with my brother in law Charlie and got to the car park at around 0810 and got a surprise to see Ben Vorlich covered in snow from about half way up. Thinking it was only a light covering we set off and reached the trig point after about 2 hours where we met another walker Ian and his dog Jake who joined us for the rest of our trek .The snow was a bit deeper than we first thought and the scramble up the Stuc was a bit of a worry but we took our time and made it to the safety of the cairn in one piece . Then it was over to the summit for a sandwich and to take in the cracking views before we headed back down the steep path and over the quite boggy stretch to where the paths meet and back to the car .Thanks again to Ian and jake for a tricky but very enjoyable day
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (2).JPG
heading up
Attachments
303.jpg
first look at vorlich
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (6).JPG
a quick pitstop
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (9).JPG
winter is here
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (16).JPG
charlie at the top
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (13).JPG
ben vorlich summit
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (47).JPG
stuc a chroin summit
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (42).JPG
made it safely up the scramble
331.jpg
the stuc
320.jpg
on the prowl
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (10).JPG
ian and jake
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (43).JPG
loking down from stuc a chroin
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (39).JPG
views from stu a chroin
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (36).JPG
starting the prow
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (53).JPG
Walk Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 23rd Oct 2010 (63).JPG
heading home
Last edited by pigeon on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a chroin

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 am

Some good pics there - especially of the route on the prow - you were very brave attempting it in that weather! I'm a bit torn about those 2 - I want to do Ben Vorlich in snow as it would be great, but don't fancy that scramble and steepness up Stuc a' Chroin in snow and ice...
mountain coward

Postby monty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am

Nice Pictures Pigeon. As MC said the Prow looks scary in those conditions. Well Done :D
monty

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 pm

mountain coward wrote:Some good pics there - especially of the route on the prow - you were very brave attempting it in that weather! I'm a bit torn about those 2 - I want to do Ben Vorlich in snow as it would be great, but don't fancy that scramble and steepness up Stuc a' Chroin in snow and ice...

Hi MC

To the left of the prow as you face it there is a fairly step grassy gully which is fine if your in crampons. I have been up that way twice & found it far less nerve racking in snow. The gully holds the snow. I came down the prow path which was clear of snow, but i am sure you could down climb the gully in the right gear. It's maybe 20 meters (wrough guess)

Regards

jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks Jonny - I do know about the gully but have to admit to having a sneaking ambition to have a crack at that buttress clamber :o :D
mountain coward

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Nice report and pictures. The Prow looks very intimidating. I was up Vorlich a few weeks ago but skipped Stuc a chroin due to bad weather. I might go back this weekend weather permitting. Which route did you take?
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Ian Bayne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Great Pictures maybe we can meet up again Ian and jake
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 pm

The scramble was not to bad as the snow was still very soft ,no way would we have tried it if it had begun to ice over .If you go right at the last fence post i think the climb can be avoided but this looked quite steep also so we decided to go for it the hard way and after much debate we found the best way up.Charlie and i might be up for a hike this saturday so ian if your up for it let us know.As to which route we took ,we more or less followed the walk highlands route but it was very boggy on the way down not sure if it would be better to head back over ben our ,could be a bit drier :?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland